Chillywig

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/24/2016 at 3:37 AM, kneelingatlas said:

Andrew, I have always operated under the assumption "burn rate" correlates the charge weight required to achieve a given velocity, i.e.: a larger charge of a slower powder results in the same velocity as a smaller charge of a faster powder. I don't know how Hodgdon calculates "burn rate" nor how closely my concept of burn rate correlates with theirs, but previous editions of their chart agreed with my real world data perfectly. Unfortunately their latest revision places HS6 on the faster side of the other popular 9 major powders which doesn't jive with my concept of burn rate nor my data.

In my mind I group 9 major powders as fast, medium and slow:

Fast (7ish grains for major with a 115):

CFE Pistol

Autocomp

Silhouette

Medium (8ish grains for major with a 115):

HS6

Longshot

Slow (9ish grains for major with a 115):

SP2

3N38

These are just powders I've tested, but don't include: 3N37, N350, AA#5, AA#7, True Blue, etc.

How was N350?, That's my next powder I want to try it out.

7 hours ago, Hiroshi said:

How was N350?, That's my next powder I want to try it out.

I've tried everything in the list, below the list are those I'm aware of, but haven't tried: 3N37, N350, AA#5, AA#7, True Blue, etc.

Although now I can move AA7 up to the top, along with Lovex D037.1 (advertised as Shooters' World Major Pistol https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/77203) both of which I think are excellent choices for 9 major on par with SP2 and 3N38.  These powders take about 10gr to make major under a 115 and don't fill the case as high as 3N38.

Edited by kneelingatlas

Hello: For me to make major with Lovex DO37.1 with 115 jhp Montana Gold it takes 10.3 grains to make 171PF. 10 grains is only 158PF for my Schuemann 5" barrel. I don't think it shoots any softer than HS-7 at 171-173PF and it takes alot less powder. I have more testing to do with the Lovex powder. Thanks, Eric

4 hours ago, Chillywig said:

Do you get lead in your comp? Any reason your not shooting a jacketed type bullet?

I haven't to date noticed any leading issues. I shoot blues because they're NC local, they're affordable, and accurate enough. $220/3600 isn't too hard on the wallet

2 hours ago, highhope said:

My gun has 9 holes in the barrel. I load 8.5gr hs6, 124jhp, 1.165OAL to make 173PF, but it is not as flat as I want. So just bought 16lb Lovex DO37.1, try to get more gas to make it flatter.. 

Have you tried different recoil springs at that PF? That made quit a bit of difference on mine once I got PF in that range.

Took an assortment of springs from 7-11 lbs, ran a couple Bill Drills at 10-20 yards. Anything above 9lb spring and spreads were horrible. 8lb springs gave me the fastest times and tightest groups.

8 lb variable kept them nice and tight. Heavier and the second shot would  string vertically.

I tried 165 to about 175 PF with HS6 and AA 7 with 7, 8,9 lb springs. Always came back to 8 lb springs and about 173-174 PF with HS6. AA7 was close second but powder spillage on the 650 even with the mods was annoying.

Edited by Broncman

HS-6 seems to be the powder of choice for 9mm major. But doesn't it burn awfully hot. Seems to me I tried that in 38sup and it had my gun so hot that I couldn't handle it after a couple of stages.

It's been a long time since I loaded 38sup but I remember 9gr HS-6 and a 115 hp.

On 9/15/2018 at 3:11 PM, sstephns said:

I haven't to date noticed any leading issues. I shoot blues because they're NC local, they're affordable, and accurate enough. $220/3600 isn't too hard on the wallet

Where are you getting them for 220 per 3600? That’s a good price. I’m local to. But I buy them at the gun rack in Kernersville 81 per 1200. Their website says like 243 for 3600. I’ve never been directly to there shop, is it cheaper? I’d imagine it is cutting out the middle man. 

Ive had zero leading also in 9 major. Their coating isn’t the thin hi tek, it’s like a thick polymer jacket. Very clean in my guns. 

7 hours ago, Ray_Z said:

HS-6 seems to be the powder of choice for 9mm major. But doesn't it burn awfully hot. Seems to me I tried that in 38sup and it had my gun so hot that I couldn't handle it after a couple of stages.

It's been a long time since I loaded 38sup but I remember 9gr HS-6 and a 115 hp.

I agree, it is very hot. Try changing recoil springs after shooting 100rds. Pain in the ass. Had to do it this weekend. 

I’m using HS6 and like it a lot. It does get hot though as stated above. Has anyone tried N340 with 124 grain jacketed hollow point bullets? I came across about 13 pounds and Johnny Lim says it’s really really good. I have not used it yet.

On 10/1/2018 at 10:16 PM, Jfitz427 said:

Where are you getting them for 220 per 3600? That’s a good price. I’m local to. But I buy them at the gun rack in Kernersville 81 per 1200. Their website says like 243 for 3600. I’ve never been directly to there shop, is it cheaper? I’d imagine it is cutting out the middle man. 

Ive had zero leading also in 9 major. Their coating isn’t the thin hi tek, it’s like a thick polymer jacket. Very clean in my guns. 

Find a local guy to use a 5% off code or I think BENOS is a coupon code too on their website. Maybe I was a few bucks off on $220, more like $230

Edited by sstephns

I have two loads I am using with Bul SAS II UR Open 9mm

1. Bullet : LOS 123gn RN (copper plated), Powder: Vectan SP2 8,65 gn OAL 30,0mm (1.181) PF 162-167 depending of weather

2. Bullet : LOS 123gn RN (copper plated), Powder: VV3n38 8,05 gn OAL 30,0mm (1.181) PF 162-167 depending of weather

Vectan SP2 gives more gas and compensator works very nice, it is quite clean but measuring it is very demanding. VV3N38 is even cleaner than Sp2 and softer in recoil very easy to measure still the 9mm case is almost full with 123gn bullet.  Next powder for my elaboration will be Lovex D037.1 which is even more dense than SP2 and is cheaper and easily available in my country.