Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite powder for 9mm Major in open pistols

Chillywig

Shot a major match last weekend so I have official chrono results from my silhouette and my friends auto comp loads.

Silhouette PF 169

Autocomp PF 176

Both these are 124 MG HP loads @ 1.140 and I can not tell any difference between these loads when shooting them mixed in the same mag.

It is interesting that it seems bullet weight might have the most to do with perceived recoil. I assume the comps on these guns are very efficient and various loads can yield similar performance in gun/dot/scope movement...

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How temperature sensitive are this loads?

BTW I love 3n37,but it looks like I'm in a minority. Haven't seen it once in this thread.

I'm using 3N37 with a 115 and it seems to be inverse sensitive. About 1 PF for every 10 degrees based on a few chrono sessions in different temperatures. Wondering if anyone else has seen this, or maybe it's my chrono that's temp sensitive.

How temperature sensitive are this loads?

BTW I love 3n37,but it looks like I'm in a minority. Haven't seen it once in this thread.

I'm using 3N37 with a 115 and it seems to be inverse sensitive. About 1 PF for every 10 degrees based on a few chrono sessions in different temperatures. Wondering if anyone else has seen this, or maybe it's my chrono that's temp sensitive.

Silhouette does the same - colder temps = hotter velocities. Last weekend our last stage was chrono and it was getting close to 90. My load development was done in the 50's and I was sweating about my warm bullets. I'll agree about 10 degrees changes the load around 1 PF

Edited by Chillywig

I didn't see it anywhere in the post but AA#7 just fill up the case, LOL I shot it with 10GR, and 124gr JHP nice but not as good as Silhouette.. My favorite is Silhouette 7.3gr, yeah my gun likes it hot. HS6, 3n37, AutoComp, N350, IMR7625 and True Blue, are a few that I have tried.

I didn't see it anywhere in the post but AA#7 just fill up the case, LOL I shot it with 10GR, and 124gr JHP nice but not as good as Silhouette.. My favorite is Silhouette 7.3gr, yeah my gun likes it hot. HS6, 3n37, AutoComp, N350, IMR7625 and True Blue, are a few that I have tried.

out of all those powders that you have tried, what makes you like the silhouette the best? Ive tried i have tried most of those powders too and silhouette was one of my least favorite. It was definitely snappier than the other powders ive tried. Ive tried hs6, autocomp, 3n37, true blue, silhouette, and cfe. Hs6 was the dirtiest but the softest. Hs6 is still my 1st choice though. Cfe would be my 2nd choice.

out of all those powders that you have tried, what makes you like the silhouette the best? Ive tried i have tried most of those powders too and silhouette was one of my least favorite. It was definitely snappier than the other powders ive tried. Ive tried hs6, autocomp, 3n37, true blue, silhouette, and cfe. Hs6 was the dirtiest but the softest. Hs6 is still my 1st choice though. Cfe would be my 2nd choice.
Your post just goes to reinforce the fact that all loads are different for different people. I have shot loads borrowed from other shooters that were horrible, yet they swore by them. And I'm sure others have thought the same of mine.:)

One of the factors that needs to be considered is the comp being used. Also note that I said my Gun likes it hot. More air for the comp. That said I am running a Dawson Comp (aka Todd Jarrett) the cone variety. Any load I would use has to pass the 50 yard accuracy test. Yes you read that right 50 yards. Then it is off to the timed test stage if you will, I use to use two plate racks. How it feels well if it don't hurt it don't matter, it is about the timer because the object of the game is to go fast.

I didn't invent the load, Duane Hemphill did, I was looking for a good load so I traded a few rounds with every other major 9 shooter I could, Duane gave me 10 of his I threw them in a mag, in the middle of a stage I reloaded and OMG it was so suite. Kyle Rejios shot a few rounds out of my gun and said that it was like cheating. In the winter I drop the load down a bit but if I shoot some of the downloaded ammo in the heat of summer I hate it.

You also may need to vary you load for effect. I have a 38 Super Comp gun with a Bedel Titanium Comp, which I hated till I pushed a load up to 175-180 pf and then I was great an extra half grain of powder tamed the beast.

By the way, where you been Coco? Hope all is well

I was in relationship prison. I have broken out and am currently on the run. LOL

Parole? Or Weekend Pass

Dumped the Girl Friend. She gonna miss my cooking.

I have been loading silhouette and 124 precision delta HPs. I really like the recoil impulse. The powder burns pretty clean and meters well however as the temps starting to warm up, I am finding it to be temp sensitive.

The same loads that were making 170PF in 70 to 75 degree weather are now making 165 at 95 degrees. So for a 20 degree temperature swing I am seeing a 40fps difference for the same charge weight.

Edited by jrn1975

I have been loading silhouette and 124 precision delta HPs. I really like the recoil impulse. The powder burns pretty clean and meters well however as the temps starting to warm up, I am finding it to be temp sensitive.

The same loads that were making 170PF in 70 to 75 degree weather are now making 165 at 95 degrees. So for a 20 degree temperature swing I am seeing a 40fps difference for the same charge weight.

FYI that is known as being REVERSE temperature sensitive. It's why you look for more stable powder or keep VERY good notes and load ammo according to the temps it will be used in.

OR just load to 172-175 and relax.

One I haven't seen mention yet (or maybe I skimmed over too fast) was Winchester 572.. I've been working with it in 38 Super 7.1 gr with a 124 Bayou.. It is supposed to be a denser version of the discontinued SR4756.. There looks to be enough room in the super that tends to make me think it would work with a long 9 major..at 7.1 gr I'm getting about 1340 fps..

One I haven't seen mention yet (or maybe I skimmed over too fast) was Winchester 572.. I've been working with it in 38 Super 7.1 gr with a 124 Bayou.. It is supposed to be a denser version of the discontinued SR4756.. There looks to be enough room in the super that tends to make me think it would work with a long 9 major..at 7.1 gr I'm getting about 1340 fps..

I'm interested in trying Win 572 because it is "suppose" to be the SR4756 replacement, but haven't seen it locally yet to buy a pound.

If you have shot SR4756 in your 124grain 38 super loads and are now using 572 how would you say it compares?

The density of 572 seems to be similar to the CFE Pistol, AutoComp, HS-6 family of powders, so I can see how it may have a place in the suite of usable powders for 9maj.

Silhouette is my powder of choice and HS6 is my backup. Only shoot 115 JHP Zero or MG. I worked with both powders a lot and what I found was interesting. Shooting side by side you can't tell the difference. Take video, you can't tell the difference. Chrono the same, accuracy the same. HS6 feels a tiny bit softer. Set up a practice stage, over 20 rounds, and run it many times and then compare. I found that my stage times were basically identical but, in every case, I always scored better with Silhouette. Moral, sight, sound, feel are pretty subjective, the scoresheet is objective.