Favorite powder for 9mm Major in open pistols

Chillywig

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How temperature sensitive are this loads?

BTW I love 3n37,but it looks like I'm in a minority. Haven't seen it once in this thread.

Matt Cheely recommended 3N37 with MG 121's in my new gun. Good load but it just filled the case too much for me. No way it would work in my opinion with a 115

BTW I love 3n37,but it looks like I'm in a minority. Haven't seen it once in this thread.

Matt Cheely recommended 3N37 with MG 121's in my new gun. Good load but it just filled the case too much for me. No way it would work in my opinion with a 115

3n38 and n105 works, 3n37 barely fills in comparison ;)

3n38 and n105 works, 3n37 barely fills in comparison ;)

yeah, 3n37 only needs 7.4 in my gun with 124's to make 170pf, its not even a compressed load.

3n38 at 8.5g also makes 170pf and may be just barely compressed. It can definitely take more without issue.

This poll is pretty consistent with research I have done.

HS6 is the most recommended powder for 9mm major.

And if you read a little further though, 115 bullets seem to be not the first pick because 124's seem to be the defacto bullet weight for open, but once someone tries a 115 they are converts and don't go back which to me is more interesting than the powder discussion.

I'm in California, it's 76 all the time ;)

Yeah but that's not true in Calexico. :devil:

I've got a jug of AutoComp to use when my gun is built this fall.

Edited by SCTaylor

It's been some time since I tried both weights and settled on 124, so perhaps it is time to re-evaluate. Fortunately, I still have plenty of 115 MG's in stash.

If the common powder charge for 124 is 8.2-8.4, what is the one for 115? 8.9?

Edited by Foxbat

8.6 grains HS6, 115 gr precision delta HP, 1.165 OAL, CCI small pistol magnum primers made 174 pf at area 6 out of my Schumann 1 in 32 twist 5.5 inch barrel with no popple holes.

I have the SVI IMM with two sizable holes, so will need a bit more, I suspect.

In my opinion there's no better load for 9 major than 9.3gr of 3N38 under a 115gr Montana Gold JHP.

What length?

Right now I'm loading 1.135", which chronos at 167 in my slowest barrel.

I have 115 RN bullets on hand, so I tested same ballpark today. 115RN, 9.3 of 3n38, these are coming off the press longer, 1.16.

With the understanding that how the dot tracks, recoil feels, etc...all that stuff is in my estimation highly subjective, I could not tell this load apart from a 124 RN ,8.5 of 3n38.

I shot a mag of each, then interchangeably stacked them in the mag and shot them and I could not tell the difference. Same boom, same dot up/down.

Again, this is very subjective, I get it, but I could not even see of feel a difference between them shooting them alternating...

This and 5 bucks will get you a nice iced latte...

I also had a bunch of 124 RN with 7.7 of 3n37 under them. Again, subjectively I would say this is worse than either of the 3n38 loads above in that it hits your hand harder, but the dot movement is pretty much the same.

I have HS6 here that I have not opened, but will be testing with 115's later today.

edit...my gun is a full length, 5" with a brazo's trubor thundercomp with two 13/64's holes and lightening slide.

Edited by seanc

And if you read a little further though, 115 bullets seem to be not the first pick because 124's seem to be the defacto bullet weight for open, but once someone tries a 115 they are converts and don't go back which to me is more interesting than the powder discussion.

I switched to 115's with HS-6 and shot it exclusively the first part of this year. Went back to compare 115's and 124's in practice and could not determine one to be better over the other. Shot 124's at the next match after shooting 115's all year and immediately realized I preferred the 124's. Could not tell the difference under practice conditions.

I switched to 115's with HS-6 and shot it exclusively the first part of this year. Went back to compare 115's and 124's in practice and could not determine one to be better over the other. Shot 124's at the next match after shooting 115's all year and immediately realized I preferred the 124's. Could not tell the difference under practice conditions.

What about the 124's did you feel was better, feel? gun tracking?

My limited compare between two bullets same powder, I literally could not tell the difference between them at all which I guess was not what I was expecting. I'm not really sure what I was expecting but was surprised that they were indistinguishable(to me anyways).

I just loaded a 100 of the 115 RN with 8.8 of HS6 but probably won't get to try them till tomorrow.

What about the 124's did you feel was better, feel? gun tracking?

It's just faster recovery of a quality sight picture. When the dot returns it seems steady sooner.

Thanks, I only ask because I want to see if I am not noticing something in particular.

Thanks, I only ask because I want to see if I am not noticing something in particular.

It's not something I can definitively quantify. I only know after I switched back to 124's I would run a stage and feel like I shot more and fought the gun less.

It's not something I can definitively quantify. I only know after I switched back to 124's I would run a stage and feel like I shot more and fought the gun less.

I understand!

This is a good distinction, feeling like you are shooting vs fighting the gun.

I just shot the 115 8.8 HS6 load.

In the 60 or so rounds I shot, again don't think I can really tell the difference...maybe it bounced a little less?

I think Waco is on to something with the idea of shooting a lot of one before trying another and noticing a difference maybe?

From what i've been hearing N350 is one of the most temperature-consistent powders out there.