Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun Handguard options

shaun1826

I have all my parts on order for my 3 gun build and have narrowed my handguard selection down to the following options. I wear large size gloves to give you an idea of hand size. I really like the SLR Helix, but am concerned about it having to many holes and possible sharp edges my fingers might get into. Is it very easy to get your fingers stuck into any of these or any that are discomfortable to use? If you have another handguard recommendation please feel free to. This will be used on a 16 inch barrel with SLR - 7 clamp on gas block. Thanks!

SLR Ion Ultralite Mlok 13.7 inch - 10.3 oz - 1.35 ID

SLR Helix Mlok 13.7 inch - 7.9 oz - 1.35 ID

SLR Solo Ultralite Mlok 13.7 inch - 9.7 oz - 1.30 ID

Noveske NSR Keymod 13.5 inch - 11.0 oz - 1.35 ID

BCM KMR 13 inch keymod - 7.7 oz - 1.30 ID

Edited by shaun1826

No expert here but be careful that your handguard lives up to its name and does not allow your fingers to come in contact with the barrel or gas block in the "heat of battle/competition". Also, be sure your chosen length goes out as far as possible to provide safe grabbing locations and flexibility against barricades. Looks like you are using a 16" barrel?

I have an SLR on an AR pistol and it is great. My 3-gun and home defense ARs have Fortis handguards. After taking a 3-gun class I realized there were some holes in the guard that might let my fingers come in contact with the gas block.

FWIW.

Edited by Steve O'Connell

I just built an 18" upper and ended up going with a 15" alpha series kmr. I have been very very happy with it! I have similar sized hands and have not found it to be too small or wanting anything larger. All in all I have been satisfied and am looking at another kmr for my upcoming pcc build

You may want to consider a gas block with set screws. The clamp on block will end up contacting the inside of a rail with a small ID. I had it happen with a NSR every time I shot from a barricade and pushed into the rifle.

Edited by bwikel

You may want to consider a gas block with set screws. The clamp on block will end up contacting the inside of a rail with a small ID. I had it happen with a NSR every time I shot from a barricade and pushed into the rifle.

The barrel I'm using is as Stretch 16 cerakoted barrel. A clamp on gas block is a must with this barrel without scratching it all up. I've looked at the MI lightweight hanguards, but they don't make a 13-13.5 inch option that I'm aware of. I think the 15 inch is a little long for a 16 inch barrel and the 12 inch version is a little to short.

Edited by shaun1826

SLR makes 13.7" rails to cover low pro gas blocks. Use them on my rifle length gas system builds. The Helix feels appreciably lighter than the Ion in hand, but the Helix is a little more cheese grater from all the lightening cuts.

Tried many hand guards and recently my favorite has become a 12" ALG m-lok. There are no rails and no top rail, which is perfect. I am thinking of sticking a 15" on my 16" rifle, which now has the MI ultralight M-lok rail. But the MI is nice as well.

$110.00 and I have no idea how weight compares to anything else. It's on a 6lb gun and doesn't need to be lighter.

Not going to impress the Speedcross crowd with it, unfortunately. Luckily, I am the kind of guy who feels rich with a fat wife, a roof over my head, and a $2000 truck!

SLR makes some great rails. Started with the Solo Ultralite 15" and 16.5" for my 16" and 18" uppers respectively. Recently swapped them out for the the 15" and 16" Helix b/c they just looked so fast!

Even got a Helix for the Glock PCC built too!

I'll probably sell the Ultralite hand guards, when I get around to it.

15" Solo Ultralite:

23592647533_5c91eb6478_b.jpg

15" Helix:

26616991133_de719365fc_b.jpgUntitled by Dave, on Flickr

16" Helix:

26616973953_1e126c69c6_b.jpgUntitled b

y Dave, on Flickr

6.7" Helix:

27188699786_164cd13a11_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I good value handguard is the Midway AR Stoner, 15" is 10 oz. and the M-Loks are on sale for $129. Mount real rigid, something my Seekins didn't do due to using the Seekins adapter and not having a Seekins upper. (it is lighter and smaller dia. than the Seekins)

It slipped over my SLR 7 gas block with room to spare.

Edited by The Donald

• 2 weeks later...

I have all my parts on order for my 3 gun build and have narrowed my handguard selection down to the following options. I wear large size gloves to give you an idea of hand size. I really like the SLR Helix, but am concerned about it having to many holes and possible sharp edges my fingers might get into. Is it very easy to get your fingers stuck into any of these or any that are discomfortable to use? If you have another handguard recommendation please feel free to. This will be used on a 16 inch barrel with SLR - 7 clamp on gas block. Thanks!

SLR Ion Ultralite Mlok 13.7 inch - 10.3 oz - 1.35 ID

SLR Helix Mlok 13.7 inch - 7.9 oz - 1.35 ID

SLR Solo Ultralite Mlok 13.7 inch - 9.7 oz - 1.30 ID

Noveske NSR Keymod 13.5 inch - 11.0 oz - 1.35 ID

BCM KMR 13 inch keymod - 7.7 oz - 1.30 ID

I also looking to replace the forehand on my JP upper . Ireally like BCM but are the numbers above include the mounting nut? I think the BCM is around 3.5 oz

Edited by 1911vm