Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

For Rimfire Steel Challenge, which works best?

I've shot both. 10/22s are squirrel rifles, ARs are for shooting fast.

With that said, I had a Chiappa .22 upper for a standard AR lower. Using 25 round mags. After break-in (100 rounds) it worked 100% with CCI Mini-Mags. It was not 100% with other ammunition.

Edited by jrswanson1

10/22s seem to be more reliable in my experience, as long as you are using the 10 round rotary mags. I have a 10/22 that my 9 year old son uses for steel matches and will eat anything you put in it. I see alot of guys have issues with the 22 ARs. I have a S&W 15/22 that has never gotten thru a full 25 round mag without an issue...needs to go back to S&W when I have time to ship it out.

I have had both 10-22's and Ar15 - 22lrs

Ar15 - Taccom 3g ULW 22lr upper

Core 15 22lr Upper

TacSol 22lr upper (SBX barrel)

Ruger 10-22's

Que'd bolt

Barrels

Bulter Creek (Carbon Fiber~ish)

Que'd OEM barrel

Taccom3g - ULW 10-22 barrel

PWS Carbon Fiber T-3 barrle

TacSol SBX Barrels

Overall reliability winners were

10-22 with Taccom 3G barrel and Que'd Bolt

10-22 with Que'd Barrel and Bolt

Ar15 With Taccom 3G upper

Ar15 Core 15 22lr upper

Any of these four set ups ran everything from Remington Gold, Thunderbolts to RWS match

Having said that my other set ups were pretty dang good also.

Currently I only have my 10-22 with the Taccom3G barrel which eats everything and anything but am really jonesing for another .22lr upper but if I do it will probably be a SBR upper

I built an AR 22 for my 9-year old son to shoot action steel matches. It has the CMMG bolt, taccom barrel, better mag adapter to use S&W M&P 22 magazines. It runs flawlessly with CCI Minimag and 99% with all other ammo. I duplicated the build for my brother and it is as reliable.

It needs some tweaks to the feed ramp and slight beveling of the clamber to improve loading, along with smoothing all the edges of the bolt an rails, but that's it.

Best of all, it handles just like an AR, so eventually he'll have a smooth transition to 223.

And I'll still keep the AR22, because I can't stop grinning when I shoot that thing.

Tito

A buddy of mine is a highly respected rimfire builder for steel. He stopped building 10/22s. The short answer is that the 10/22 can be built into an amazing and accurate rifle but the receiver will wear quickly and become unreliable at the 20-30k shot mark. An MP-22 can be built less expensively and will run reliablely for years (he hasn't worn one out yet) but it is inaccurate due to the lack of availability of lightweight barrels, necessitating him having to turn down OEM barrels, creating lots of whip. It's accurate enough to steel distance but not beyond. I likr my 10/22 and dont have reliability issues but don't have that many rounds through it either. If it wears I'll buy an aftermarket receiver and rebuild it.

• 2 years later...