Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Counting Shots

How many of you shooters count your shots as your shooting? If so is there a simple trick to this. I can visualize my run but it seems that sometimes not always when I have a hiccup I try to push it and lose round count and end up doing a standing reload.

What has worked the best for me is to count extra shots. What I do when planning the stage, I know how many shots I should have left in the mag, then if shoot more than that amount, I know that I have to reload early. I have alternate plans in case this happens. I shoot Open so I have more choices than other divisions,but this method works for me better than trying to count rounds.

I do the counting during my walk through, and plan the stage so I have extra rounds for make up shots at every array or shooting position. I pretty much stick by the old rule of thumb for the limited capacity divisions that when you're moving you're reloading.

I only have one job for the conscious mind when the timer goes off and that is to call every shot. Any other thoughts like counting rounds is a distraction.

During stage planning, I determine where I will have to reload . . . physical location within the stage. This makes it more of a subconscious act. Makeup shots on steel, or a Texas star, I do not actually count but it does tell me to reload early.

The plan is to never run my open gun empty, but drop mags with a couple, three rounds left in them. The plan works 80 ~ 85% of the time. :D

I shoot position.. 3 targets from this position 2 extra rounds. 4 targets from this position. I never round count. Do you count down to zero while shooting?

I shoot revolver so I only have to count 8 rounds or 4 targets..

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Plan where you will reload. The key is not missing.

Spend most of your training time on fundamentals, so you won't miss.

You will eventually build a sense of how many rounds you have on hand at any time. It takes a long while.

I shoot limited & I do my counting during the walk through and plan my reloads. as stated above I try to figure out how many extra shots I have. If its even close I'll treat it like a production gun stage and just reload when I move so I don't cut it close... especially if there is a lot of steel.

I also do my round counting during the walk through while planning reloads. I always try to leave extra rounds when possible. Yesterday, however, I had to do a standing reload after running the gun dry, because I forgot to make my first reload when moving.

• 3 months later...

It depends on how accurate you are but I will usually just plan for 4 to 5 extra shots minimum before my reload. Most of the time I don't need these but knowing I have those lets me not worry about counting rounds or taking make up shots. For 90% of stages you can find a middle shooting position that will mark half the round count for the stage. If you are shooting limited or open always put your reload there. If you are shooting single stack you can usually reload after every position.

On 5/17/2016 at 8:25 AM, grapemeister said:

I only have one job for the conscious mind when the timer goes off and that is to call every shot. Any other thoughts like counting rounds is a distraction.

This!!.  If you plan your reloading points and always reload while you have a couple of rounds left in your magazines there will not be a need to count.. 

Production shooter here.   I "Count" my shots during the walk through & plan when/where i will reload in the stage.  And i count paper & steel instead of # of shots, just to keep the numbers lower in my head.  Decide how many make-up shots i'll get in each mag.  The rehearse & visualize over & over.   

If my run goes to heck and i take too many make-up shots..I reload and finish the array and then get right back on plan.  I might only shoot 2 or 3 rounds out of the "oh cr@p" mag, but then i reload when i planned to and can finish the stage to my plan, instead of trying to think about how many rounds i have left in the mag.  

Edited by uewpew

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I can never count my rounds while shooting.  That's way too much to do when you are really going fast.

Plan on safe reloads while doing your walk through.  Don't think of the best case scenario, think realistically "I'll probably have a couple of extra shots on the steel so I'll reload here".  A safe plan that's a layup and not a Hail Mary will set you on the track to greatness.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

About the only time I count actual shots is Virginia Count stages or classifiers. For most most stages, I count rounds during the walkthrough so i know when to reload after a certain target or array. I usually try to have an idea of how many extra rounds ill have in the mag so i know how many makeups shots i need. If an array has a lot of steel, Ill know that i need to reload early if I shoot X amount of extra shots. those types of arrays are the only time i count anything while shooting. 

I tend to shoot best when I let my brain shut off and get out of the way :)