Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Video Games

lynn jones

For the last year or so, i have been playing video games on my computer, lately on-line games. i think it has helped my shooting.  my reaction time has decreased and i seem to be shooting faster and more accurate.  what do you think.

lynn jones

I know I started shooting better after dropping the gaming time considerably. I have a playstation with the gaming guns. After a night on that thing you want to shoot your real blaster as fast as that. 0.08 splits and always hitting things. It frustrated me :)

Well i have heart people say before they have such good reaction in traffic because they shoot.......

Maybe when you did spend the time you have been doing on the video games in dry and live fire practice you had even better faster and more accurate shooting skills.

I don't think there is a specific relationship between playing videogames and decreasing reaction time.

You are just becoming a better shooter and maybe therefor getting better in the videogames.

Just my opinion

Greetings

Adrie

Back in the day,  when "Lethal Enforcer" first came out on Sega, I think it was.  I put a Tasco Pro-point on my video blaster.  The game had a pretty nice shooting gallery portion with various drills and targets.  I didn't play the 'action' portion of the game much, but I think the shooting gallery was fair dry fire practice.

When I was getting started, I played a lot of duck hunt and the clays game weak hand. Trying to score a million points weakhanded is tough, but, it can be done! :-) Sure helped learning the trigger control with my left hand and its cheap. Also will help build up the muscles in the arm. Holding the darn thing up that long is some work.

Take care,

• 1 month later...

upgade to the ps2 and pick up time crisis 2, the timed stages really, really push your acuracy and speed ( for a videogame any way)!!  point blank 3 on the psone has a few good practice stages for shooting a ipsc style targets with X bullseyes and lower scoring in the subsequent areas,  they even rock and move laterally!!!   for the arcade there is the police 911 series where ir sensors read your body movement so you have to take cover to reload and avoid bullets (though i swear they must be using powder puff cowboy loads, cause they are reallly slow) unless your guncon has muzzle flip its best to keep sending brass down range, then quarters in a slot!

I do not like video games but my kids love them.

(the last video game I played was pong).

solidsnake.

I bought my son the guncon thing you were talking about yesterday.

This was the 1st modern video game that I have ever played and even though I don't think it is anything like real shooting, it did give my eyes quite a workout..(I did beat all 3 of my kids for what that is worth.).

The funny thing is that after playing for a few hours my wife showed me a sticker on the box that said

"Not for sale in California".

I bought the damn thing in California  for $50.00 (2 guns, game and all the cords etc)...

Go figure..

I now have a deal with my kids, for every hour they read a book, daddy will play 1/2 hr on the guncon thing with them.

win win

• 2 weeks later...

While there would be a lot more coin involved, at a sportmans show the Army Marksmanship Unit had a booth set up to help recuiting.  They had a 1911 modified to shoot a laser when the trigger was pulled, you shot 8 inch bullseye style targets that popped up and disappeard on a movie screen.  The simulation was controlled by a laptop and projector.  They said they had a camera that watched where and when the light hit and fed it back to the laptop.  At the end it gave a score and hit/miss.  The time that targets displayed and the time between targets was controllable.  They did have other "games."  I didn't get a chance to ask who made it.  If anyone knows I would be interested in a price and manufacturer for sh*ts and giggles.  It was an excellent reaction and transition drill, especially cranked down to 0.3 sec display and 0.3 sec delay between targets, but you had to be able to laugh at yourself when you saw the very poor score.