Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nook Color for Practiscore?

scottlep

Uggh. Ok. Thanks Zack. I bought 3 used Colors thinking it would just work. At least I only paid $26 for all 3. I guess my kids have some new toys. What is the preferred (cheap) device to use for Practiscore?

On a different note....spent the weekend with Bobby B this weekend at the Max Michel class. Nice guy. Both Bobby and Max ;)

Uggh. Ok. Thanks Zack. I bought 3 used Colors thinking it would just work. At least I only paid $26 for all 3. I guess my kids have some new toys. What is the preferred (cheap) device to use for Practiscore?

On a different note....spent the weekend with Bobby B this weekend at the Max Michel class. Nice guy. Both Bobby and Max ;)

Nook Simple Touch is mostly what is used around here. Bobby was texting me from the class. I'm super jealous of him. I will forward that link euxx posted to JC.

What is the hold up with them. Just not supporting the android market? Im sure I can track down y'all a solution.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Nook Colors, at least with firmware v1.4.3, are completely locked down so you can only download books from Barnes and Noble. You can't even download apps anymore. Sideloading apps doesn't work either since they have locked that down too. I have been trying to root it or jailbreak the Colors with no luck. I will probably cut my losses soon and go with other devices. At least I only paid $26 for all 3 of them.

Won't work with rootnscore, but there is this https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_encore

*POOF* (With associated purple cloud) Mind....blown!

I can't get any of the Rooting procedures to work on the Nook Color. I am a high end IT guy with much command line and scripting experience and can't get any of the ways I found to actually work. Unfortunately I have zero Android experience. At this point I am cutting my losses and just using an old iPad I have

Nook Colors, at least with firmware v1.4.3, are completely locked down so you can only download books from Barnes and Noble. You can't even download apps anymore. Sideloading apps doesn't work either since they have locked that down too. I have been trying to root it or jailbreak the Colors with no luck. I will probably cut my losses soon and go with other devices. At least I only paid $26 for all 3 of them.

Are you saying these instructions don't work and you can't get root access on those devices?

There is some additional reading and number of success reports at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1941858

or this

Edited by euxx

Are you saying these instructions don't work and you can't get root access on those devices?

There is some additional reading and number of success reports at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1941858

or this

I have tried that one and many, many others. Problem is most of those forum posts, etc are from back in 2011-2013. Many of them have dead links for the software they say to use. Like I said, I have already wasted too much time on it and I am cutting my losses and moving on. It really isn't that important in the grand scheme of things and I am more than will to take the hit on the $$$ I wasted by buying the NookColors before I investigated if they would work.

or this

Go ahead and click that download link included with the video. I really hope you aren't on a PC when you do it ;)

I'll give you $25 for them.

I paid $26 plus $20 shipping for them. They did not have cables or chargers with them, but I was able to scrounge around for them and found 3 cables and two charging blocks. I will sell you all 3 for $50 shipped if you really want them.

I'll give you $25 for them.

I paid $26 plus $20 shipping for them. They did not have cables or chargers with them, but I was able to scrounge around for them and found 3 cables and two charging blocks. I will sell you all 3 for $50 shipped if you really want them.

Yeah, those things are heavy. I use a Nook Color as a Nook! I was going to play around rooting it but I didn't want to brick it. It makes a great indoor E-reader. I have a NST that I carry in my range bag as most of the matches out here are BYOD. I rooted the NST with Nook Manager so I could keep the B&N apps. It is a great outdoor E-reader. The only issue I have with this root is that some of the network stuff in not quite right and the default PDF viewer does not render modern PDFs completely correct. That makes it hard to use the rulebook on the NST. That said, the daylight readability and the multi-day battery life really makes it a winner.

Thanks for the offer but I will pass. I think I will get a more up to date tablet to screw around with. For some reason, I seem to be wanting to code again...

Later,

Chuck