Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 1911 9mm for SS and IDPA?

hlpressley

I am looking at picking up an STI 1911 in 9mm that I can use for both Single Stack and the ESP Division of IDPA. I have been looking at the Trojan most intently but wanted to get you all's advice as this will be my first stent with the 1911 platform. I have spent the last few years shooting the polymer guns in IDPA, and the last few months, USPSA Production. Is there another model that I should look at? I would prefer to stay with STI if possible.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

The best single stack 9mm value IMO is the Dan Wesson Pointman 9mm. I recently purchased this handgun and can't believe I wanted so long to pick this gun up. This gun is much better than the STI Trojan hands down. I would strongly suggest you take a look at this handgun.

HEX-TACITAL SS.. has the tripped slide and hex serrations that take a good amount of weight out.. I don't know about the SS version but my SHOT Shoe special 2011 hex tax also had a oficers length spring guide to save some aditionial weight..

I believe your choice of 9MM is a good one for both IDPA and USPSA Matches especially if you don't reload. In IDPA a .40 or .45 doesn't offer any real advantage and at most local USPSA Matches there aren't as many difficult A Zone hits to be made. Many good 1911 in 9MM on the market. I would just buy the best you could afford with good CS.

My first choice is the Sentinel - chrome is the best finish, and I particularly like the contrast of a black sight over a silver gun as I seem to find the sights faster. It has a forged frame with checkered front strap (opposed to Trojan's cast frame with stippling) and includes a magwell and G10 grips. Advertised as "STI's top of the line" so it should get some good attention to detail. The only thing I'd change in the future would be adding an ambi safety, which would need to be chromed to match. I also like the adjustable Novak sights it comes with, and there are LPA sights that will work with that sight cut if you wanted to change.

Second choice is the Lawman - $200 more than the Trojan but you get a Cerakote finish, forged frame, and checkered front strap. It's advertised as 'hand fit' and I've noticed the slide looks the same as the 'top of the line' Sentinel and Marauder - the only 3 guns with tight serrations and not available in .40. My point is just that for some reason I would expect a little extra effort in quality control with these 2 guns.

As others have said, Dan Wesson makes some of the finest production line 1911s. I've shot a few 1911s and DW is at the top of the list, with my Sig :)

Edited by StraightSh00ter

You didn't mention a budget for this gun, but Gary's advice to get the best you can afford is on target. If you maintain your gun properly it should last you a lifetime. That being said, if money is tight you may also want to consider Springfield's Range Officer or, as Eric suggested, the Loaded model.

I picked up a Trojan from Dawson Precision last year in a .40 with the CRP package. I was really impressed with the value for the money and it shoots really well. I am so happy I went with it when I did and I would do it all over again even if money was not an option. Go with STI and you will not regret it.

Thanks for all of the replies guys. I plan to order the Trojan direct from STI as I work for an STI dealer so I will have to wait several weeks I am sure, but the discount makes it worth the wait! Thanks again to everyone who took the time to reply.