Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AA7- 9 major

ffgats

Any feedback on this powder- AA7 for 9 Major,

Any room left to seat the projectiles? or its gonna be a compressed load inorder to make major.

I'm on CFE PISTOL right now, although it will not fills up the case and easy to load to make Major, it not as flat as my HS7, btw my current load right now is 7.1 gr. of CFE, 121GR bullet with 1.150 oal. , and starting to exhibit some high pressure on the primers.

thanks

It may be too slow. I loaded some to chrono a while back. 3 rounds into my load latter I had a squib I had to home and remove. I will look at my data and see. If I remember correctly I was close. It felt nice but it was a full case. I was loading 115s.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

One of the best performing 9 major powders out there. It's also very dirty but that didn't bother me. Depending on the lot I was between 9.6-10gr with a 124 jhp at 1.168. This was good for 173-174pf in a fullsize gun and no holes.

My bbl has 2 ports, and I'm only looking for a 165pf, so 9.6 should be in the safe side, btw does it fill up the case, For the HS7 its 9.7gr which put me on the 171pf with 124g RN at 1.175

I use 9.5 AA7 for 9 major in a standard TruBor barrel. 124 Montana Gold CMJ. OAL is 1.165, crimp .377. Not compressed. Around 170 tp 172 PF. Slow, low pressure, lots of gas. I do use a Lee U die to prevent setback.

• 2 months later...

9.7gr is my load right now with 121gr - 1.155 oal, Pf - 168, 2 bbl ports btw, its not a compressed load, by the looks of it, you can use the 115gr, but no actual experience since it prohibited in IPSC. The HS7 priduce more velocity but its not in production anymore, #7 so far is the eeasiest and best powder I've tried to my 9Major , maximized the comp and ports effectiveness. Have been with CFE, AC , HS6 and the Vhitavouri powders

My question is: what's so bad about compressed loads?

I guess fgats isn't going to take the bait, Kneeling, so I'll chime in with

what I didn't like about compressed loads:

1. spilling powder as the reloader rotates from station to station

2. I use SDB dies and had trouble keeping the bullets tight

in the case with so little room for the bullet.

I did it though - used to use a lot of HS6 with a light bullet - but

really didn't feel real confident about the bullet not pulling out

of the case (and didn't like cleaning up the spilled powder).

So, I switched to WAC and 124's ... Happy, now. :)

10.5gr under a 115JHP gives me a 175PF in my FGW full size gun with 2 holes

How dirty is that load? I tried AA7 in supercomp once and it was so dang dirty it was ridiculous. Maybe I'll give it a go in 9 major.

Edited by user293

Any feedback on this powder- AA7 for 9 Major,

Any room left to seat the projectiles? or its gonna be a compressed load inorder to make major.

I'm on CFE PISTOL right now, although it will not fills up the case and easy to load to make Major, it not as flat as my HS7, btw my current load right now is 7.1 gr. of CFE, 121GR bullet with 1.150 oal. , and starting to exhibit some high pressure on the primers.

thanks

I currently use CFE, I switch from HS-6 because it was way too dirty, try moving the OAL to about 1.160. You might have to go to 7.2 grains but it should stop the flat primers. I forgot to ask, what type of primers are you using?

I have run aa7 for along time in major 9mm and 10.5 under a 115 is very close, but not a compressed load at 1.165. It makes a lot of gas and I like it better than sp-2. The powder is fine and does not spill from the case but it does leak by the Dillon powder bar just like sp-2. Arrendondo makes a special powder bar for a Dillon that helps.

• 1 year later...