Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Possible DOA Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph?

I bought a Caldwell Ballistic Premium Precision Chronograph off Amazon and paid for a new one. Box showed up half-ass sealed on one end with clear tape, which made me think this was somebody's returned unit.

I set it up in my apartment. Installed the IR lights. The little red lights came on, and it went through its start-up sequence.

And surprise, surprise, it doesn't work. At least as far as I can tell. I set it up in my apartment, regular light, no flourescents and tossed some some of the cast bullets I just bought directly over the sensors, front to back. And nothing, not a twitch. Damn thing couldn't detect a cannonball. I went crawling through the manual, but couldn't find anything. It'll go through its start-up sequence, but that's just about all it will do. Sometimes it'll throw an error message. I wiped the sensors with a Q-tip, no effect. Tried the manufacturer's Website, no revelations there.

The smartphone app also will not detect the unit. I'm guessing it got dropped somewhere along the line.

Unit's probably DOA, but I thought I'd ask here and see if anybody knows something I don't about how to make it work.

Tried it in the morning, no light but diffuse sunlight through the blinds. Still couldn't detect a bullet. It would trigger about half the time if I ran a flashlight over the sensors, something the Website recommended. My results indicated the rear sensor had lost most of its sensitivity.

Back to Amazon for a replacement. Hopefully I'll have better luck. If not, move up to a CED M2, I reckon.

Thanks to all.

You have to take it outside and shoot something over it like an arrow or a bullet. Its not made for throwing stuff over. Mine works perfectly when I shoot over it but if I through something over it nothing happens.

Mine arrived today - also from amazon. The box did not appear particularly well sealed, but everything inside appeared new.

I tested it by flicking a flashlight beam across the sensors - I was able to get it to read 9-13 fps ok

Plugged it into my iphone - app worked a series of flashlight passed averaged 10fps with SD 1.5 ;-)