Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Mat

bradhe

Packing up for my first trip to the Cup in 34 years. A quick question: I understand the mats are provided on the match range but not on the practice range? Does anyone have a good suggestion for a travel mat? I am flying and the high power mats I use on my own range would be their own piece of luggage

thanks

Brad

Edited by bradhe

A rolled up Dillon will fit in a large suitcase. I don't know of many other good options. I would want to shoot on something as close to the match mat as possible. Maybe they will have the old mats at the practice range this year? Doubtful, but a thought.

I bet there will be enough shooters/mats at the practice range that you could just borrow one if needed?

Old mats? Does that suggest that there are new mats for the cup?

Yes. Brand new Dillon mats. Thanks to Dillon and Green Valley.

Someone ripped a hole in one first match of the year. :rofl:

Yes. Brand new Dillon mats.

Now that will be interesting, nice new spongy, bouncy mats.....

With the referee at the Crawfish Cup questioning the start position when going prone....seems like best thing to do is not allow going prone, that way mats are not needed.

Tom

Yes. Brand new Dillon mats.

Now that will be interesting, nice new spongy, bouncy mats.....

With the referee at the Crawfish Cup questioning the start position when going prone....seems like best thing to do is not allow going prone, that way mats are not needed.

Tom

Don't even start that crap again! We've been down that road already. Things got ugly.

Simple solution, stand up just like you were shooting from the standing position. They can't get you for creeping that way.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'm gonna chime in here anyway.

The first time I saw a "crouched" position for the start of a "prone" stage was several years ago by a shooter at our range who was shorter than average , (the name is unimportant at this time). In the past few years, I've seen numerous shooters assume that position before going prone on the Practical & Falling plates.

When I questioned one of them, he demonstrated the "start" position used by HP shooters @ Camp Perry when going from standing to sitting in that event.....crossed ankles and crouched! They start out in the sitting position and merely stand up without moving the feet from their previous position. This particular individual is a retired SF Lt. Colonel from the Special Forces and knows whereof he speaks. If that's allowed in HP @ Perry, why not something similar in AP?

Technically, it's not "creeping" since there is no movement involved, only a "different" starting position from the "usual". As long as the shooter is "vertical" i.e. standing on two feet and looking at the targets, it would seem to me that this would be acceptable.

Since there has been, to my knowledge, no ruling from an NRA Referee on this, it can't be prohibited.

I've been wrong before, so prove me wrong this time.