Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SHOOTERS WORLD "LOVEX" POWDER

sweetback

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone using LOVEX (DO37.1 or DO37.2) for 9 maj. or .38 super. and would care to share their results or impressions?

Absolutely!

I have been working with this powder for a bit and hope you find this info useful...

I shoot open for Leatherhead Bullets. One of the Owners gave me some of this new powder (I don't know how long Explosiva, the Czech company has been selling this stuff in the US) to experiment with, Lovex DO 37.1

I was running HS-6 behind their 125 grain hi-tek coated bullet. 9 major.

The powder is a very fine flake. I was initially worried about static and charge consistency but found that it meters very well out of my 550. With LHB's 125 grain bullet,

Around 9 grains out of my 5.4 STI pattern gun with a 3 port comp and 3 popple holes gives me a very consistent 170 PF.

SD was around 12. (Of course discretion mandates starting lower and working up!) I use mixed brass and am not exactly a meticulous reloader so I think that is pretty darned good. Primers looked normal with this also.

Seeing the velocity that I'm getting with a 9 grain charge, tells me I'm getting the kind of pressure curve I want and am generating a lot of gas to work the comp.

slow motion camera testing shows minimal muzzle rise, ended up going from a 9lb recoil spring to an 8.

Subjectively I feel that the gun shoots softer. Much less violent of a hit.

Another plus is that it burns super clean with leatherhead's coated bullets. They are running a new bronze compound and I am pleased with the lack of leading in the comp and at the popples.

The only drawback I've noticed is that after a few hundred rounds I am finding a bit of unburnt powder in the gun upon cleaning.

I really can't offer any info on performance with a jacketed bullet, sorry.

I know I have omitted some details like primer and overall length, as well as the exact powder charge. I am not offering load recommendations, rather my opinion on this powders performance for my application.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if I can answer any other questions. For me, this stuff is a winner.

Edited by Ultimo-Hombre

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, clw42 said:

Has anyone tried the D036 - or Shooters World Auto Pistol?  The description compares it to HS6, Longshot and Accurate 5.

Fwiw I just picked up some Longshot as a replacement for 3n38 and the discontinued 4756 that was very popular with 38 Super major loads. Got tired of the 3n38 availability "chasing" game. With a 124 jhp 8.5 grains of Longshot gives me the same PF as 9.5 grains 3n38. 5"bbl .38 Super,3popple holes Brazos modified Trubor Comp. Dot tracking and movement are virtually identical. Maybe slightly dirtier than 3n38 but reasonably priced and easily available.

7 hours ago, vgdvc said:

Fwiw I just picked up some Longshot as a replacement for 3n38 and the discontinued 4756 that was very popular with 38 Super major loads. Got tired of the 3n38 availability "chasing" game. With a 124 jhp 8.5 grains of Longshot gives me the same PF as 9.5 grains 3n38. 5"bbl .38 Super,3popple holes Brazos modified Trubor Comp. Dot tracking and movement are virtually identical. Maybe slightly dirtier than 3n38 but reasonably priced and easily available.

thanks