Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester 572 with Xtreme 165's

MJPLEO

Good Afternoon All,

I picked up some Winchester 572 to try with some Xtreme 165gr bullets. These are for IDPA and USPSA using my VP9. There's absolutely no data for these (165gr pills) so I started low and loaded long to 1.17". 3.0 to 3.1gr is where the slide started locking back. I added another tenth to 3.2gr and got 100 percent function with 20 test rounds. I'll get the Chrono out tomorrow and see where I'm at velocity wise.

Other than that, this stuff meters great through my 550 and is probably a bit safer than my Clays experiments.

Edited by MJPLEO

Today I ran some rounds over the chrono. I fired two groups of ten. The first averaged 754fps and the second was 760fps. There were no FTE's or unburned powder residue. The slide locked back on empty each time. It looks like I'm on the right track for a nice bunny fart load using this powder. Another tenth or two should do it. The best part is that the gun runs bone stock with no changes.

Edited by MJPLEO

My 165 Xtremes should be arriving on Monday. I'm thinking long like you, like 1.17. Should work okay with my STI. I'm planning on loading with Titegroup or N320. The only downside I've heard of for 165's, since they're so long is to use brass that doesn't have the inner ring like the ones with a headstamp FM or IMT. I sorted my range brass (yes, it's a PIA, but I found some), but don't have to worry about swaging bullets in the cases.

I finally got around to loading some at 3.4gr of 572. I'll put them over the Chrono in the next day or two and post the results. If I get them to average 780-800fps, that'll be about perfect for my needs. So far 572 has been a very soft shooting and clean burning powder for me. It should be fun to try it with some other calibers too.

Finally got around to putting some more rounds over the chrono. I've settled on 3.5gr of 572 loaded to 1.17". They averaged 785 for a 20 round string. No problems with feeding or extraction. They shoot very soft and accuracy is right about 2" @ 25 yards which is fine for the games I'm playing. I know there are tons of powder choices and it looks like 572 is just another to add to the list. I'll work up some .40 and .45 loads in the next few weeks time, wife and kids permitting.

Thanks,

Matt