Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about light charges

CrashDodson

I have loaded about 8k rounds of 40 on my 550, 4k 9m on the 550 and about 600 40 rounds now on my 1050. This last weekend at Cowtown I had 3 instances where the round fired but did not sound normal. It was much quieter than a major 40 should be and the spent case did not eject. It was quieter than 40 minor....almost making a puffing sound (best way I can describe it). It wasn't a squib as the round still cleared the barrel and hit the target.

I took a mix of ammo with me some loaded from my 550 and some from my 1050 so I cant say what machine the round came from. But out of the thousands I have loaded in the past this is the first time this has happened. One person said it looked like a "light charge".

Would this just be a situation where something may have happened and I didn't pull the handle all they way down...not paying good attention and then advanced the shell plate? I have been using hornaday one shot to lube the cases...it says it doesn't effect powder or primers?

what powder? I the only light charges I have had were due to bridging (using 3.1 gr of red dot) in a lee auto disk. I never experienced the problem with heavier charges. The ones I caught were weighing out between 1.7 and 2.4 grains or so, and they were very very quiet.

Ok so now I'm using the Mbf funnel...redding dual ring sizer and redding comp seater. There is zero buldge now...at least not noticeable like before. I'm still having a high failure rate but now it seems to be the bottom of the case. Looks like the redding sizer does not go down as far as the u die on glocked brass. The press runs smooth though and bullets sits in the case well and seem to be seating well. I loaded about 100...had a dozen that wouldn't gauge in the shock bottle and out of those 3 would not plunk in the barrel. Guess I need to look at a push through sizer for the glocked brass.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Do you have a light that shines into the case filled with powder?

Do you look into that case, before you seat the bullet, every time?

Case lubes also have to dry out before you load them ... :cheers:

I do have a light now and am paying more attention. I am letting the cases sit in the feeder for 5 or 10 minutes before turning it on now to let them dry. Well see how that goes.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I had an old 550 that had spring returns that liked to not reset all the way. If you call Dillon they can set you up with the new linkage. Also you are using the small pistol powder bar correct? The large may not fill consistently enough with that small of a load.