Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

90-95% Of Points?

Flexmoney

Mike's are never acceptable!!

...and Paul's are only marginally so... :lol: :lol:

On partials, I'm still shooting for As, but I may not kick myself as hard for erring on the side of getting the hit. Partials w/ the upper A/B zone only - still looking for As, but same thing applies.... At least, for now :)

Hi Cam, small world, huh? :) (Expectations...hmmm, we might need to start another topic.)

OK...fantastic posts on this so far. Let me see if I can steer this away from hom many points...

What method do you use to get the points? How do you attack the stage? Have you noticed anything about your best performaces?

What method do you use to get the points?  How do you attack the stage?  Have you noticed anything about your best performaces?

Uh.... I follow the procedures described in "The Good Book", pages 1-201 :D

My best performances, I remember seeing the sights on every single shot in precisely the spot I needed to, and I don't recall being hurried or rushed to make shots. I recall feeling smooth, and that it feels like I've excuted the plan I made at the fastest speed possible - but it doesn't feel fast. It just feels right.....

Something is getting lost here!

Everyone is talking about 90 - 95% of the points. Great!! But the aspect I see getting lost, at least with my own shooting, is it worth making up the points you are losing?

Just to complicate this whole discussion further, how do you guys feel the eqation changes if you are shooting production? Does it change at all?

You double it :blink:

In a 10 factor stage a point is worth .1, 5 Factor = .2 So in Production, you are losing twice as many points so double it.

If a point costs .2, is it worth it? If you can call it and make it up fine!! Or spend at extra .2 getting it in the first place, it's a wash. But thinking about it costs at least .2 so you lose, so don't make it up. Or seeing it and going back for it is even worse. Figure out why you lost it and get it next time.

Granted, the guy (Sorry Carina! :D or girl) that gets the points faster wins. That is without a doubt, but just getting 90 - 95% of the points won't win.

It's a good measure of personal performance but you can't measure overall performance with it.

Getting 90 - 95% of the points faster than anyone else is the way to win.

Inspiration. That is what has driven me to elevate my visual awarness. Watching the dot, and having the patience to see what I need to see before breaking the shot is what I have learned.

Movement. Focusing on being ready to shoot as soon as possible in the next shooting position. Newly coined GM's share big secrets with very few words. Listen to what is being said, and practice what I have learned.

Attacking stages and best performances come for me when I am relaxed and have mentally rehearsed the stage after the LAMR command.

Ok, my feeble mind is a bit slow today.

I look at it this way. I look at the stage and figure out if it's a 10 factor or a 5 factor for me. Then I know how much time I've got to make up the shot or just leave it alone.

The only time a look is if the shot doesn't feel right or I don't see what I need to see.

If I get 90- 95 % of the points, OK..I'll take it. And figure out where I can make up the points I lost ..in practice.

Less than 90% something happened, and I need to figure out why.

I ususally have a good feel for how much the points are worth to me and what I can reasonably do the stage in.

We're mainly talking about full targets at any range, here, right? What if you are dealing with high risk partials? Say the target has a NS bordering the A zone; how many are going to use the center of the A zone as their POA, as opposed, say, to the away A/C border? The A zone is still the same size, and therefore the chance of hitting it with a shot using a centered POA is the same as a full target, but the cost of a less than perfect shot is much higher now.

How many here would take the extra time to get the points, as opposed to accepting fewer in less (in my case, much less) time? :unsure:

Kevin C.

I think we are talking about every target in a match, not just the easy ones. The points on partials or obscured targets score may separate the order of finish dramatically with today's difficult field courses. I shoot for the A zone as fast as my gun and the danger will let me. If there is a hazard, you have to see just a little more than if there isn't(I don't think this takes as much time as everyone percieves it to). I see this on the same level as hosing an arms length target and getting C's, it is unacceptable and not any faster than shooting the A zone fast but deliberate. Am I right on this one, anyone?

The exception in my thinking is very small A's avaiable and really long range targets. The time for a perfect A versus a B/C can be very considerable on some targets, I don't want to get caught up on those shots if they aren't going to help the overall score. There is always a fudge factor, so if I fudge, I still want the shot to score :)

Small A and long range targets still require that you index them somewhere. Are you suggesting that you can be a little less dilligent with calling the shot in lieu of speed? I could agree if it were only one or two targets out of many or if there is almost no A available without going deep into a target that will not be your last to engage.

I still think that a miss is unacceptable in this game even if it benefits you occasionally. I don't like D's either, but that doesn't mean I am slower. I think it is faster to get the A's, ie. you don't lose much time, and you make it up with points, and you don't need make-up shots, or visual confirmation. I don't think of it as an A, just that everything is aligned for an acceptable shot as I break the shot. It seems slow when you are doing it, but the timer doesn't show it, and after a while you know that it is fast because it seemed easy and effortless. I became more aware of this after working on my eye muscles and practicing transitions. It seems to get easier and it is almost automatic in the sense that you don't have to hold yourself back, you just have to see everything come together.

I shot a friend's open gun in a match this weekend, and this was my first experience with a dot, and it shocked me how fast the alignement happened. It was almost hard to believe it was time to break the shot. You will go faster without trying once you learn to trust yourself to shoot A's.

Some remember every shot, but for me, when it is really smooth, I don't recall seeing the sights when it is over. I always recall seeing them on 40-50 yard targets. I shoot rifle the same way at 100 yards or more, each shot in the center of the target(read where the A zone is).

I am so new to this feeling in the past 8-9 months that it is hard to describe, so I apologize for the long post.