Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli M2 shell hanging on carrier

I have an older (8 or 9 year old) Benelli M2 with Ghost Ring sights, shorter barrel (whatever length they were), and a +9 Nordic Components extension with follower. I have opened up the loading port, I welded the carrier up, TTI Bolt and spring kit (hammer, trigger, and recoil). I have pretty much had the same issue since new, and I am little passed frustrated.

Here is what is happening: shotshells will hang up on the carrier while the bolt is back. SOmetimes the first, sometimes the last, but hangs up 1 in 10 rounds or so. Never the same # in the tube, just randomly. I thought it was me for a long time, but others have the same problem with my gun. I have tried numerous loads (heavy, medium, light), slugs (light and heavy recoil) and buckshot, all presenting the same problem.

Watch the videos. Let me know what you think. I will provide more info if needed.

The red, white, and blue ammo makes me think think your shooting the 1 1/8 oz 1145fps. The standard spec ammo for most hunting semi-auto shotgunis including Benelli is 1 1/8 oz at 1200fps. Using the 1 1/8oz 1200fps + could cut down on the guesswork and fix some of the issues.

In the 1st video I'm guessing ammo, carrier spring, or some binding where the carrier (lifter) interacts with the rest of the trigger group (bad install of the extended lifter?)... Take trigger group apart and make sure the lifter is easily gliding before installing the spring.

The second video problem looks like a usually Benelli M1/2 problem of shell alignment with an extended lifter (shell catches on the razor sharp extractor groove). Hotter ammo and/or Taran light recoil spring, and filing the razor sharp extractor edge down to a dull edge.

Good luck.

Greg

All good ideas. This is a factory lifter that was modified. I removed the spring and it easily glides through its range of motion.

Sharp edge on the extractor? I am not following there. TTI modified my bolt and cleaned up the extractor. (That is what they said that they do. I am calling them tomorrow, but would rather learn what is happening.)

Is it possible that my lifter is the problem? I will get a photo of it and upload it later tonight.

VIDEOS 1 & 3: Install a new Action Spring (or even better, a Wolff XP Action Spring). Completely solves the same phenomenon in my two VM Tacticals.

VIDEO 2: Looks like the nose of the shell hung up on the extractor cut (on the right side of the chamber). Check it with your finger - if razor sharp, try gently breaking that edge with a stone. Alternatively, try a different brand of shell (AA have a better crimp than some budget shells).

I already have installed the TTI recoil spring, trigger spring, and hammer spring. Or do you mean a new carrier spring?

I think that is what he means. I just recently upgraded to a Benelli but my FN SLP started exhibiting these kind of malfunctions when the carrier spring became worn/tired.

I already have installed the TTI recoil spring, trigger spring, and hammer spring. Or do you mean a new carrier spring?

I meant the Recoil Spring... the spring that goes in the buttstock. The TTI is a reduced-power spring, and could be struggling to push the bolt forwards. It is a pretty cheap part to replace, and no filing/grinding/polishing required. if you still have the original spring, drop it in there and see if it helps.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

While waiting for my new carrier spring, I removed the bolt release and cleaned up the razor sharp edge that was in there. Polished it, and put it back together. Did another couple mag dumps just to check 95% better, and I may pull it back out and see if it needs more tuning. I am trying to be gentle and not remove too much material.

(Sorry, I swore on this one...)

So, after what feels like forever, my beloved Benelli M2 runs like a raped ape! Took my carrier out and polished the back edge a bit more and cleaned a rough patch on it and no more jams!

Shot a 3gun match yesterday and it ran flawlessly!

Thank you to everyone for the help.

In video #2 was the shell hung up on the side of the chamber in the front? I know on the vinci you have to dull the edge of the chamber where the extractor cut out is. Shells tend to hit that sharp edge and get stuck there. Did the gun run well before the Lifter was welded?

• 1 month later...

So, after what feels like forever, my beloved Benelli M2 runs like a raped ape! Took my carrier out and polished the back edge a bit more and cleaned a rough patch on it and no more jams!

Can you show exactly where you polished? I'm having the same problems.

Thanks

Nick

Can you show exactly where you polished? I'm having the same problems.

Thanks

Nick

Jason is going to fill us in on this soon, he was really busy.

• 2 weeks later...

Jason,

I am having the exact same problem with my M2 that I think I see in videos #1 & #3, with the bolt satying back while the next round lies on the elevator. There were a lot of suggestions flying around in the thread, to the point that I'm not sure which action actually fixed the issue. I'd very much like to hear exactly, in your opinion, what you did to make that particular problem go away. Because I need to try it.

I'm following the thread, and I hope you can find time to lay it out for us.

TIA,

Tommy Teas