Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Bill Drill

So I'm finishing up my shotgun practice and I have 6 rounds left, when the urge to do a shotgun bill drill hits me. I set a steel IPSC target at 18 yards and decided to see what I could do 1, on demand, Bill Drill in. And just for the record, no soft recoiling sissy loads here. Winchester Sporting Clays handicap loads, 1,300 FPS, 1 1/8 oz. #8's.

My goal will be a 1.45, which is a .55 first shot with .15 splits. I'll try it again next weekend.

Erik

So I'm finishing up my shotgun practice and I have 6 rounds left, when the urge to do a shotgun bill drill hits me.  I set a steel IPSC target at 18 yards and decided to see what I could do 1, on demand, Bill Drill in.  And just for the record, no soft recoiling sissy loads here.  Winchester Sporting Clays handicap loads, 1,300 FPS, 1 1/8 oz. #8's. 

My goal will be a 1.45, which is a .55 first shot with .15 splits.  I'll try it again next weekend.

Erik

Cool. What distance and what starting position?

Sniper,

(Father figure voice on) What are you doing fooling around in the 3 gun section Missy? :angry: You go and finish your dryfire BEFORE you go out and play. (Father figure voice off) :D

EricW,

Thanks. When I do my part, it's not that tough to get a .55 first shot. A good friend of mine was an alternate on the US Olympic International Skeet Team. In International competition, the birds fly an some insane speed like 90 mph (yeah, show me a bird that fast) and they all have to start with the buttstock on the belt. He was doing .30-.35 shots on a popper at 12 yards. It was sick to watch. There were times where I couldn't hear a sound gap from when the buzzer stopped and his shot. It just sounded like a buzz into a gunshot. Very impressive.

One of the reasons this all came about was I realized that I need to improve other aspects of my shotgun game other than reloading. I don't think my technique will allow me beat Taran or KurtM straight up, so I've got to find other parts of my shotgun game to take back some points. One of those aspects is the speed shoot/short stages that don't require a reload or only 1 or 2 rounds. This drill really was about working on my high speed recoil control and tracking, I just happened to put a timer on it.

Shotgun is the weakest part of my 3-Gun game. I've got to get more competitive with it, I can't keep giving up 1/3 of my match right out of the starting blocks.

Erik

One of the reasons this all came about was I realized that I need to improve other aspects of my shotgun game other than reloading.  I don't think my technique will allow me beat Taran or KurtM straight up, so I've got to find other parts of my shotgun game to take back some points. 

Hey, that's my strategery too!