Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
ArrDave

How do you practice front sight discipline?

Have you tried Travis Tomasi's shot calling drill? Look it up.

A friend of mine who already had speed, he is an M in most divisions, says he has gained some speed recently by shooting as fast as his sights will allow.

After reading this thread, I think I understand what that means.

sights are aligned on the center of the target = good hits and called shots.

Somewhere in the A zone = too many bad hits & can't call shots.

For me.

You left out "some kind of blurry sight picture somewhere on brown"

That one is even worse, and it's what you utilize a lot when you have a speed focus.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

For me it was a drill Ben Stoeger had us do in his class, which was actually a transition drill. Two wide open paper at 5-7 yards, 15 feet apart. Centered between them were a pair of 8" plates at 15 yards.

You start and finish with a target focus on paper, shooting "fiber optic somewhere in the notch." In between you don't just need to pay more attention to the sight picture. For me to shoot this clean, I need to stop looking at the fiber and find the top corners of the front sight. If I watch those as I break shots on 15 yard plates, I hit them. If I am centering the fiber in the notch instead, I hit roughly 50% unless I slow down - which means I always mike on one of them, statistically.

Here's the important thing: Shifting my focus to the steel corners of the front post doesn't actually take any longer than leaving my eyes locked on the wrong thing. It just feels like it does. You don't have to slow down to improve your score. You just have to look at the right damn thing.

Needless to say, I shoot this a lot in dryfire. I'm practicing a crush weak-hand grip coming out of the holster, then working on training my eyes to NEED to find the corners of the front sight for tight shots, and shifting back to blazing fast "hoser target" mindset to finish.

Edited by MemphisMechanic