Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Div. mag count

+1 Davsco - I typically carry one more than the number of reloads I plan to perform. This way if I drop one or have a malfunction, I have a spare. I would say that about 90% of the stages out there can be done with one reload in limited.

Edited by WYgunner

I run 3 on my belt after I make ready. I've only gone to the 2nd mag on my belt when my days of Single Stack stages popped into my mind and threw a reload just because I was moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Nickb45

I've only gone to the 2nd mag on my belt when my days of Single Stack stages popped into my mind and threw a reload just because I was moving.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that's done that.

1 in the gun and 2 on the hip. 60 rounds

Edited by racknrider

I shoot 3-Gun too, where there is no ammo count limit on a stage, and where the increased physical nature of the event mean dropped equipment is more likely... my rig holds 4 pistol mags as standard (1 for the LAMR, 3 spares), plus I have a 5th on an ELS clip if I need to go to war. :devil:

When I was first gearing up for Limited I was told by everyone that four mags was the minimum I could get by with. Baloney. I originally bought three mag pouches. They are still on my belt. I use the third to carry my start mag to the box. After make ready, I'm wearing only two mags. I've never gone to the second. So the money I spent on the third pouch was wasted. I could have gone with two and carried the start mag in my back pocket.

When I was first gearing up for Limited I was told by everyone that four mags was the minimum I could get by with. Baloney. I originally bought three mag pouches. They are still on my belt. I use the third to carry my start mag to the box. After make ready, I'm wearing only two mags. I've never gone to the second. So the money I spent on the third pouch was wasted. I could have gone with two and carried the start mag in my back pocket.

Just going to point out that 4 mags minimum is for bigger stages and evil match directors requiring multiple magazine changes in a stage. Plus you really should rotate mags since the springs wear out during use.

jr, fortunately I haven't run into those evil match directors yet. Interestingly, I was talking to someone last night who said he always goes with 2 big sticks and 2 140s. Evidently, he runs into evil match directors who make you start laying down or having to crawl under something to get to the firing station. He has accidentally knocked a mag out of the pouch performing these antics, so he wants to be prepared.

I think I'll start running 3 on the belt after make ready, just in case. BTW, I always rotate my mags. I also carry spare springs and followers, just in case.

jr, fortunately I haven't run into those evil match directors yet. Interestingly, I was talking to someone last night who said he always goes with 2 big sticks and 2 140s. Evidently, he runs into evil match directors who make you start laying down or having to crawl under something to get to the firing station. He has accidentally knocked a mag out of the pouch performing these antics, so he wants to be prepared.

I think I'll start running 3 on the belt after make ready, just in case. BTW, I always rotate my mags. I also carry spare springs and followers, just in case.

3 total, 2 on the belt and one in the gun

I've only gone to the 2nd mag on my belt when my days of Single Stack stages popped into my mind and threw a reload just because I was moving.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that's done that.

1 in the gun and 2 on the hip. 60 rounds

I run 3 on my belt after I make ready. I've only gone to the 2nd mag on my belt when my days of Single Stack stages popped into my mind and threw a reload just because I was moving.

With so many people here talking about having never gone to the second mag on their belt I kind of have to wonder what exactly the stages look like in your areas. Must not be that super complex, or you are possibly not doing the best stage plan. Can't say without seeing the stages obviously, but it is very common at my local matches for limited shooters to have to do multiple reloads based on target presentation and round counts from certain positions.

I'm not trying to call anyone out or anything, just an observation, purely because I feel like it is a pretty common occurrence around here. But maybe all of our match directors are evil, and I just don't know it...

I'm curious about your stages? How does a complex stage dictate that you need to shoot more than 41-43 rounds? Or do multiple reloads.

I thought of one match so far this year that I have planned 2 reloads, there was X number of targets on the left side of a shoot house that got taken on the move, get to the back and do a reload to take a few arrays of steel, after the steel there was some distance to cover with more paper and a few farther steel on the right. I broke that one into 3 mags just because it was pushing the round count close trying to combine the 2 of the positions on 1 mag.

I'm curious about your stages? How does a complex stage dictate that you need to shoot more than 41-43 rounds? Or do multiple reloads.

I thought of one match so far this year that I have planned 2 reloads, there was X number of targets on the left side of a shoot house that got taken on the move, get to the back and do a reload to take a few arrays of steel, after the steel there was some distance to cover with more paper and a few farther steel on the right. I broke that one into 3 mags just because it was pushing the round count close trying to combine the 2 of the positions on 1 mag.

It's not about total round count so much. Imagine you start in the middle, with targets in front of you and on either side. The way it breaks down you have to shoot like 8 rounds, then 2 more targets before you get to the next array of 8 shots including some steel. That would be 22 rounds, and then 10 more rounds on the right side.

Assuming most people aren't going to plan a standing reload or risk going to empty on steel, you probably have to do a reload going into each of the positions.

That's just the first idea that popped into my head.

Gooldy, the people designing the stages where I shoot like to make you move on long stages. They also give you every opportunity to break the 180 rule. They also set them up to be SS friendly and to make absolutely certain the Open shooters have to traverse pretty much the same path as everyone else to engage all the targets. There are always lots of no-shoots and baffles with targets hiding behind them, and small ports that you have to shoot through because you can only see the targets through them.

For example, the last long course I shot was on a 50 yard range. I was third fastest of the day and had the highest % points. The stage went like this. Start box on the extreme left corner. Step out and engage a single target on the left. Move right 10 yards, turn left and engage a single target that could not be seen earlier. Continue another 15 yards to the first target on the right, engage, then shoot the target hiding behind the baffle. Move straight down the right side of the course to engage targets on the other end , being careful not to break 180 as you moved past. Head over the the baffle on the right. Engage targets and steel through the port., some of which could only be seen through the port. Move to the end of the baffle and engage a small steel gong that could not be seen from the port. Also engage two targets at dirt level behind the small center baffle. Reload while moving to the port in the left baffle and engage the remaining targets and swingers.

The stage was 25 yards wide and 30 yards long. There were several places I could have reloaded. My stage plan called for 20 shots and a reload. I started with 21 in the mag and one in the chamber. There was still one in the mag when I dropped it. Had I messed up on the steel in the first port, I could easily have reloaded while moving to the center. I still would have had enough rounds to finish without another reload. If I was worried about it, I could have reloaded while moving to the left port.

So there were three times when I could have reloaded without time consequences had I decided I needed to. The previous stage was on the 75 yard range and you had even more time to reload. The challenge always seems to be on the 25 and 15 yard ranges with 22 to 24 shot stages where you only have to move a step or two to get from one station to the next.

That being said, I see your point. It certainly would be possible to design a stage where prudence dictated two reloads. I just haven't encountered any stages like that in either official or unsanctioned matches. If I do, I'll wear three on my belt. I'm going to my first Level 3 match later this year, so we'll see what surprises they spring. 13 stages should be a hoot.

Gooldy, the people designing the stages where I shoot like to make you move on long stages. They also give you every opportunity to break the 180 rule. They also set them up to be SS friendly and to make absolutely certain the Open shooters have to traverse pretty much the same path as everyone else to engage all the targets. There are always lots of no-shoots and baffles with targets hiding behind them, and small ports that you have to shoot through because you can only see the targets through them.

For example, the last long course I shot was on a 50 yard range. I was third fastest of the day and had the highest % points. The stage went like this. Start box on the extreme left corner. Step out and engage a single target on the left. Move right 10 yards, turn left and engage a single target that could not be seen earlier. Continue another 15 yards to the first target on the right, engage, then shoot the target hiding behind the baffle. Move straight down the right side of the course to engage targets on the other end , being careful not to break 180 as you moved past. Head over the the baffle on the right. Engage targets and steel through the port., some of which could only be seen through the port. Move to the end of the baffle and engage a small steel gong that could not be seen from the port. Also engage two targets at dirt level behind the small center baffle. Reload while moving to the port in the left baffle and engage the remaining targets and swingers.

The stage was 25 yards wide and 30 yards long. There were several places I could have reloaded. My stage plan called for 20 shots and a reload. I started with 21 in the mag and one in the chamber. There was still one in the mag when I dropped it. Had I messed up on the steel in the first port, I could easily have reloaded while moving to the center. I still would have had enough rounds to finish without another reload. If I was worried about it, I could have reloaded while moving to the left port.

So there were three times when I could have reloaded without time consequences had I decided I needed to. The previous stage was on the 75 yard range and you had even more time to reload. The challenge always seems to be on the 25 and 15 yard ranges with 22 to 24 shot stages where you only have to move a step or two to get from one station to the next.

That being said, I see your point. It certainly would be possible to design a stage where prudence dictated two reloads. I just haven't encountered any stages like that in either official or unsanctioned matches. If I do, I'll wear three on my belt. I'm going to my first Level 3 match later this year, so we'll see what surprises they spring. 13 stages should be a hoot.

I think it definitely depends on the amount of steel that is on the stage and how much movement, like you said. It is extremely based in your personal stage planning, cause some people are comfortable only having 1 or zero makeups on steel. I think those people are probably the minority though.

Slight drift, but I'm shooting my first level 3 match this coming weekend (Area 1) also. I'm super excited.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think it definitely depends on the amount of steel that is on the stage and how much movement, like you said. It is extremely based in your personal stage planning, cause some people are comfortable only having 1 or zero makeups on steel. I think those people are probably the minority though.

Slight drift, but I'm shooting my first level 3 match this coming weekend (Area 1) also. I'm super excited.

I'll see you there, I'm shooting Sat/Sun. Regarding mags, if you're using the maximum 140mm mags, the most you will ever need in a USPSA match is 2, the limit on round count is 32 on a long course stage. An extra mag is always on my belt. If the mags are staged on tables or barrels, I'll lay out 4 of them in case I fumble a grab. There are times on classifiers with multiple strings where having 4 mags is easier. Then there is the issue of magazine failures. I carry 10 mags in my range bag. I only have 3 mag pouches on my belt and many times I'll start the stage with only 2 on the belt and one in the gun. On Long courses I'll carry 3 in the belt. Good luck next weekend, it's got to be better than last year when the temps were over 100 every afternoon. (I've probably jinxed it now) :surprise:

I'll see you there, I'm shooting Sat/Sun. Regarding mags, if you're using the maximum 140mm mags, the most you will ever need in a USPSA match is 2, the limit on round count is 32 on a long course stage. An extra mag is always on my belt. If the mags are staged on tables or barrels, I'll lay out 4 of them in case I fumble a grab. There are times on classifiers with multiple strings where having 4 mags is easier. Then there is the issue of magazine failures. I carry 10 mags in my range bag. I only have 3 mag pouches on my belt and many times I'll start the stage with only 2 on the belt and one in the gun. On Long courses I'll carry 3 in the belt. Good luck next weekend, it's got to be better than last year when the temps were over 100 every afternoon. (I've probably jinxed it now) :surprise:

Never say that! That's pretty much a guarantee to have crazy weather! I just switched to shooting Friday Saturday, but hopefully I'll see you there.

And while yes, maximum round count for any stage at a level 2 or above is 32 rounds, that doesn't necessarily mean that it is the best course of action to only ever do one reload. There are certain stages when it is mo betta to do two reloads.

]I think it definitely depends on the amount of steel that is on the stage and how much movement, like you said. It is extremely based in your personal stage planning, cause some people are comfortable only having 1 or zero makeups on steel. I think those people are probably the minority though.

I think some of your match directors may put steel a little father away than "normal" [emoji48]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

]I think it definitely depends on the amount of steel that is on the stage and how much movement, like you said. It is extremely based in your personal stage planning, cause some people are comfortable only having 1 or zero makeups on steel. I think those people are probably the minority though.

I think some of your match directors may put steel a little father away than "normal" [emoji48]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Haha ain't that the truth.

Great shooting today.

A few times a year one or another of our local MDs puts on a stage where all magazines must start staged on tables/drums/whatever scattered around the stage. With only 3 magazines available to you, your freedom to position the magazines would be extremely restricted. Now imagine one of your magazines fails, or you drop one behind a prop, or any one of a dozen other possible Murphy Events... you will be running all over the stage trying to find a magazine to finish the stage.

Lets face it, nobody ever walked off a stage thinking "gee, I wish I had taken less ammo with me onto that stage".