Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ramped Barrel Needed For Single Stack .40?

sasquatch981

Like the title says, is a ramped barrel needed for a single stack .40? The reason I ask is that I see both ramped and unramped barrels for all the major cailbers, but when you ask anyone they say that a ramped barrel in .45 is not needed, but what about .40.

Does anyone know if a Trojan has a ramped barrel.

I am trying to decide between a STI Trojan, and a local custom built Caspian in .40 for L10. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I don't know for certain if it's required or not. Trojans do, in fact, have a ramped barrel. My understanding is that the ramp allows for the case to be more fully supported by the chamber. Since the .40 is a relatively high pressure cartridge, that would make a ramped barrel a safety feature.

Yet I am the minority opinion on thie one and I do not use integral ramped barrels at all. I have never blown a case in .40 since I started shooting that caliber since the cartridge was introduced. If you should go with a std barrel ramp have a competent gunsmith fit the barrel, I would recommend sending it to Irv at Bar-Sto Precision for the barrel installation

Alan