Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has Anyone Changed Their Practice Program Based on...

This book.

http://www.amazon.com/Peak-Secrets-New-Science-Expertise-ebook/dp/B011H56MKS/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I just heard a pod cast the author is featured on. I've bought the book. I'm interested in any lessons learned from people who've read this book and tried to apply it to your practice.

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/peak/

This book.

http://www.amazon.com/Peak-Secrets-New-Science-Expertise-ebook/dp/B011H56MKS/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I just heard a pod cast the author is featured on. I've bought the book. I'm interested in any lessons learned from people who've read this book and tried to apply it to your practice.

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/peak/

Yes!!

It has become indispensable!

cliff's notes?

what changes do you expect to make in your practice?

I don't know. I need to read the book. Based on the podcast, it sounds like what I've done in dry fire already. In the book, I'm expecting to find specificity of training; things like Burkett reloads and pushing the envelop, like Anderson's speed mode.

cliff's notes?

So the book gets into the concept of Deliberate Practice, which is a fairly specific term.

Applying it to shooting is challenging - I'd like to put all the cliff notes out there for you, but lemme turn it around for a sec:

Moto, do you practice? If so, what, specifically, do you do?

cliff's notes?

So the book gets into the concept of Deliberate Practice, which is a fairly specific term.

Applying it to shooting is challenging - I'd like to put all the cliff notes out there for you, but lemme turn it around for a sec:

Moto, do you practice? If so, what, specifically, do you do?

fair question. I dryfire every day for 25-50 minutes.

Start with a few minutes of plain old draws, and then a minute or so to draws and call a good first shot.

Then I spend about 15-20 mins doing fairly static drills, 5 mins or so at a time. for example el presidente, or 3 reload 3 weekhand, or 6 reload 6, or 3 x body reload 3 x head, or a wide plate rack, or 3 targets at 90 degrees left, straight ahead and 90 degrees right. I do these in speed mode, trying to push as fast as I can see the sights. After each drill, I do another 5-7 reps in match mode, only going as I can call alphas or close charlies, and hitting the reload every time. The purpose of this is to train my eyes and body to work together faster, and to let my eyes dictate the pace of my shooting, and most importantly to be able to call the shots.

Then I move down to the garage or the back yard and do things that involve more movement, like variations of anderson's call it and leave it drill, going back and forth for 10-20 seconds between 2 positions in speed mode. Sometimes I do that on steel, sometimes a couple open paper targets, sometimes I throw in some barricades or walls. The purpose here is to make my movements faster and smoother without me having to think about it, and to make it natural to follow the gun around and come into every position with the gun high, finding the sights early so I can shoot early. For many of these I will also do a few minutes in match mode, and add some partials or steel to the array.

Last, I like to do a few minutes of dryfire while moving. Usually just doing a square at 12-15 yards from 3 open targets, going for alphas and close charlies. Very last I do a couple minutes of PT and wrist curls and extensions (bad chad's cure for elbow tendinitis).

Essentially I try to have a purpose for every drill, and I like to have measurable standards of improvement. I also like to keep in mind that the primary goal is to call every shot.

Since I started practicing this way last summer, I have become much more consistent, and my results have improved significantly.

Edited by motosapiens

• 1 month later...

I've finished the book. I believe that the training programs espoused by people like Ben Stoeger and Steve Anderson are spot on what's in the book.

Ericsson does place a lot of focus on finding teachers and coaches. While teachers and classes are easy to find, finding a shooting coach to work with on a routine basis seems hard. How many of you can get an hour every few weeks with a good teacher to look at your technique and results to help you with your training plan?

I loved Ericsson's emphasis on skills vs knowledge in education. Long ago, l taught college Physics. He has some concepts I wish I'd articulated as well as he does years ago.

If you are serious about getting better, I think this book will help. I'll read it again. It's not going to change your life.

• 2 weeks later...

The more I read it the more Im inclined to believe contrary to what the book tries to prove, that deliberate practice is the most important factor in effective training to highest levels of skills and that talent is at the bottom of the ladder. Strnge how the author tried to prove his point but created a Streissand effect instead ? at least to me.

Edited by BoyGlock