Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
DarksideCZ

Do you count your shots?

I plan my reloads, and count steel as two shots. Since I shoot open, as long as I have plenty before i have to reload I feel like I'm good. Other divisions you gotta be a little more careful.

I don't count them per say, but I do calculate reload points.

I know how many shots it is to the point of a planned reload. Then I know the number of shots of slop and adjust the point of reload from there if I bust that number.

I count mine on my walkthrough, and usually plan a 2nd shot for Steel. Once the buzzer goes off I don't think about trying to count how many I have taken. Although, at an all steel match it would have helped to keep count.

Im new to this sport so trying to remember how many shots I took, whats left and if I hit what Im intending to with the estimated rounds I alloted is a ton to remember. I try to plan reloads with one or two left in the gun to try and not run out. However I always miss more thsn anticipated so my plans usually go out the window. I can only have 10 rd mags so I need a lot if magazines on me!!

Im new to this sport so trying to remember how many shots I took, whats left and if I hit what Im intending to with the estimated rounds I alloted is a ton to remember. I try to plan reloads with one or two left in the gun to try and not run out. However I always miss more thsn anticipated so my plans usually go out the window. I can only have 10 rd mags so I need a lot if magazines on me!!

That’s part of the challenge with production/L10. I usually never had issues since I generally planned a reload every time I moved with at least 1-2 left in the mag. If I got to a point in my stage plan where I expected 9 or even 10 shots without makeups I would usually try and plan that spot differently by shooting other targets sooner or after a mag change. Even on further steel shots I left myself plenty of makeup rounds before a reload. There’s been times recently that I can think of where I’ve hit a couple mini poppers at like 15+ yards on the first shot and still dropped a mag with like 4 rounds left in because that’s how many I planned for makeups.

Still, I got sick of limited capacity magazines and decided to switch to Limited last month. The reason is not so much that it’s harder to have only 10 rounds, but seeing how much less competitive Production can be against guys who are shooting Major PF and not having to reload 2-4 times in a stage really irked me. Plus, winning Production at a local match isn’t very fun when you’re beating the same 4-5 guys every time. It seems there’s a lot more diversity in Limited as far as competition goes.

I find it easier to plan reloads by array and any "free time" I have moving. I'll take a standing reload if I need to but try to avoid, even if I throw down a mag after only 2-4 shots somewhere else.  If I need to plan a standing reload, I try to find an array with good separation of targets so I can reload while swinging to the other  target(s).

On 9/22/2016 at 6:49 PM, NTH said:

I always said I'm gonna count but when the timer goes off all good plans are laid to waste..lol

this

On 2/2/2019 at 2:49 AM, jskd82 said:

Trying to count but sometimes it just goes out the window!

Of course. Rather than counting the shots know the plan and feel when the plan gets shaky. If the plan feels completely blown then reload and start again.

Your plan should never be to count.  If its a habit to do so, definitely work to eliminate it.  The way you know how many rounds you have till reload is by stage planning.  Memorize actions not counting.  So when you do the walk-through don't go "1, 2... 3, 4...." just look and memorize what you see and what you will do.  No counting.  If you need verbal when you walk-through say "bang". 

only count when shoot virginia count stages....and  just plan your reload in all the other stages.

Slightly different take. I shoot limited and plan the stage for reloads, including allowances for potential extra shots. I never count, except if I am shooting revolver, which I have done a bunch of in IDPA.

when i shoot 3 gun with my extended mags i count the targets. like i know i can engage 11 targets before i have 1 shot left and then to either dump that last round or reload and start again

when i shot with a stroager m3k (before my vr80) i did the same, 12 targets before a reload (or 13 if its a shorter stage and i wanted to run it dry)

I count my shots even when Im not in a match.  I count other peoples shots.  It has become an ingrained habit.