Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mecgar and Metalform 9mm magazines

Gooldylocks

Any more info on the Mec Gar mags? Do they have the loose spacer inside or are they internal ridge type? Having trouble finding info on reliability with them- they seem like a good deal but if it's $20 for something that doesn't work and $30 for something that does, I think the $30 one wins...

Well at this point my gun has less than 100 rounds through it, but the mecgar I have seems fine. It is the internal ridge down the front. I think the problem might be that the basepads are likely too short to seat with a dawson magwell. I will be checking that this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Any more info on the Mec Gar mags? Do they have the loose spacer inside or are they internal ridge type? Having trouble finding info on reliability with them- they seem like a good deal but if it's $20 for something that doesn't work and $30 for something that does, I think the $30 one wins...

Well at this point my gun has less than 100 rounds through it, but the mecgar I have seems fine. It is the internal ridge down the front. I think the problem might be that the basepads are likely too short to seat with a dawson magwell. I will be checking that this weekend.

Does that mean they're like CMC's with a built in feed ramp?

Does that mean they're like CMC's with a built in feed ramp?

I'll check when I get home from class.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/19/2017 at 2:29 PM, matteekay said:

Sorry to dig up an old post, but any long-term reliability thoughts on the Mec-Gars? I'd be using them in the same gun so I'm pretty intrugued.

Same here. I own one and I'm deciding whether to get more or not. It works just fine but less than 500 rounds through it.

I've read (but have no way of confirming) that Brownell's branded mags are also Metalforms with a black coating. Their price is pretty good too.

https://www.brownells.com/magazines/handgun-magazines/magazines/1911-9mm-magazines-prod84195.aspx?avs|Make_3=1911&avs|Cartridge_1=APP_9%2bmm%2bLuger

Yeah....

e4088e1efb0a422d0e99f2a82291d682.jpga3406193047f49d083ab1ea62d457d9e.jpg00ce1e4151882cd0bc148c16ebdbac97.jpg04bb96298a837f0c9a91315e89984b34.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I have a Taylor Arms (RIA) 1911 9mm, bought in December, it came with a mec-gar mag and jammed from the beginning.  Immediately bought CMC and Metalforms and have had no trouble with them in a thousand rounds so far.  

I should’ve mentioned that I have had 2 different pistols that came to me with Mecgar mags. Neither would feed with them, and in the end I bought Metalform as well.

15 hours ago, superslowmo said:

I should’ve mentioned that I have had 2 different pistols that came to me with Mecgar mags. Neither would feed with them, and in the end I bought Metalform as well.

It seemed to me that the spacer on the Mec-Gar is in front making for a longer transition to the barrel.  Where the CMC and Metalform (same mags and followers) have the spacer in the rear so it minimizes the transition.

I’ve used my MecGar occasionally without issue, but I also did all Metalforms for my competition mags. The gun has literally never had a hiccup with those (which is saying something for a 1911).

These are the 4 types I am currently running in the RO Elite Target I just got a few weeks ago

First is a Metalform, second is CMC (with indentation at front of mag- no spacer), third is a WC, and fourth is another style WC that had a poly follower that I swapped out with a spare Metalform follower I had.

They all run 100%.

I have yet to try out the stock 9rd SA mags that came with the pistol (with indent like CMC’s). I’ll most likely just keep them for dry fire/Barney mags.

8683729b944885c6be11e0b12fc555b8.jpg
74e3cdcedc8c702ff7a599e2ef97e6b1.jpg
56f45e51662327de9f751d7bfd10cc40.jpg