Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mecgar and Metalform 9mm magazines

Gooldylocks

So I am kind of confused and can't really find the info I want using a search. I just ordered a rock island 9mm ultra (what used to be a tactical II I believe) and have some magazine questions. I was looking at Greg Cote's website and see both 9mm and 38 super magazines listed for both Mec Gar and Metalform.

I don't however see 10 round 38 magazines anywhere, unless I'm very blind. So how long can you load in a 9mm magazine? I load my major ammo at about 1.165 if I remember right, and ideally would lie to not have to change the dies to load minor. Does a 9 round 38 mag hold 10 9mm since it is rimless?

Also, which magazines are better? I know everyone loves the Dawson mags, which are metalform bodies (right?), but I've heard good things about the Mec Gar as well. I am currently leaning toward metalform because that's what comes with the gun and they work well in them (from what I've read). I would like to not dish out for Tripp or Dawson mags if I can get the other ones for cheaper and they work just fine.

Thanks!

I load out to 1.163 for the same reason as I do not want to adjust my dies from major. My reloads will occasionally hang in the middle of my Metalform mags. No issues with my Tripp Cobra mags. The rear spacer looks thicker on the Metalform as well as there is slight notch in the front of the Metalform mags which can catch the front of the bullet. This does not happen all the time though and probably happens if I do not load them in the magazine a little funny. I have not tried the Metalform ones yet.

I have not had any issues with either magazine thru my Spartan with factory loads though.

I load out to 1.163 for the same reason as I do not want to adjust my dies from major. My reloads will occasionally hang in the middle of my Metalform mags. No issues with my Tripp Cobra mags. The rear spacer looks thicker on the Metalform as well as there is slight notch in the front of the Metalform mags which can catch the front of the bullet. This does not happen all the time though and probably happens if I do not load them in the magazine a little funny. I have not tried the Metalform ones yet.

I have not had any issues with either magazine thru my Spartan with factory loads though.

Hmm. That's not exactly what I was hoping to hear. What bullet profile are you using? Once you test them in live fire be sure to let us know how well they work.

Anyone else have any experience?

why are you looking at metalform and mecgar?

I have a few tripp 10-rounders but I get the best (100%) reliability out of the dawson 10-round mags.

1.165 is still under the saami specs, so I wouldn't expect to have any troubles with dawson or tripp mags at that length. I found that going longer than 1.17 would require 38 super mags.

Note that dawson precision has tripp 10-rounders in 38 super, and you might be able to trick up the dawson 9mm mags with a tripp 38 super flex follower and remove the spacer at the rear. (i haven't tried that, but it would be worth asking about).

https://dawsonprecision.com/tripp-research-38-super-10-round-magazine/

Note also that it's awfully easy to adjust the oal. I go back and forth every month or so between 147gr flatpoints and 124gr RN (for steel challenge), and it adds about 60 seconds to the switchover. Going to a significantly different oal or bullet profile might also make it easier to keep your major and minor ammo separate.

Edited by motosapiens

Oops, I meant I have not tried the Mec Gar mags before.

I've definitely tried the Metal Form mags. I shot two matches with a mix of Tripp and Metal Firn mags. It took me a while to figure it out which mags were causing issues when I switched to reloads from factory bullets.

I'm using moly coated RN bullets. The Metal Form mags are just sitting around now. I can always use them for factory bullets or as Barney mags but will definitely pick up more Tripp mags.

why are you looking at metalform and mecgar?

I have a few tripp 10-rounders but I get the best (100%) reliability out of the dawson 10-round mags.

1.165 is still under the saami specs, so I wouldn't expect to have any troubles with dawson or tripp mags at that length. I found that going longer than 1.17 would require 38 super mags.

Note that dawson precision has tripp 10-rounders in 38 super, and you might be able to trick up the dawson 9mm mags with a tripp 38 super flex follower and remove the spacer at the rear. (i haven't tried that, but it would be worth asking about).

https://dawsonprecision.com/tripp-research-38-super-10-round-magazine/

Note also that it's awfully easy to adjust the oal. I go back and forth every month or so between 147gr flatpoints and 124gr RN (for steel challenge), and it adds about 60 seconds to the switchover. Going to a significantly different oal or bullet profile might also make it easier to keep your major and minor ammo separate.

Mostly looking at them because they are cheaper, and the Dawson's are just metalform with a different base pad according to what I've read. I don't care so much about the aluminum basepads and in fact it seems like it would be easier to make weight with plastic.

I am planning on using coated bullets for my minor ammo, so that should help differentiate them. I shoot plated in my open gun. I guess I will probably end up just testing it and if it works, great and if not I will just adjust my seater as necessary.

If you use a bigger magwell like the Dawson Ice or Techwell, the bigger Dawson basepad will make seating easier. If you're using the smaller S&A style magwell, the plastic stock basepad will be fine. I use the Dawson mags with Ice magwell on my DW PM9. Couldn't be happier with that combo.

The plan is to get a dawson magwell down the road. How deep in the magwell do the standard basepads sit?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The standard basepads are flush with the bottom of the Dawson Ice Magwell. Definitely no good on the clock. You can always just buy the Dawson basepads later when you get the Magwell.

The plan is to get a dawson magwell down the road. How deep in the magwell do the standard basepads sit?

The standard basepads are flush with the bottom of the Dawson Ice Magwell. Definitely no good on the clock. You can always just buy the Dawson basepads later when you get the Magwell.
Hmm. That's kind of unfortunate. Buying them separately later would be about the same cost as buying them out right to start with, which is what I'm trying to avoid. Very unfortunate, for sure.

::eta:: I may end up just buying the Dawson's, but if I could save 10 bucks per magazine I would like to.

Edited by Gooldylocks

I have 10 Metalform 10 round mags coming from Greg probably tomorrow. When I get a minute I will see if I can load a long 9MM and test the mag for you

Thanks dude. Much appreciated.

No time to load today or tomorrow by the spacers can be removed from the Metalform if that helps you out

I have 10 Metalform 10 round mags coming from Greg probably tomorrow. When I get a minute I will see if I can load a long 9MM and test the mag for you

No time to load today or tomorrow by the spacers can be removed from the Metalform if that helps you out
Ah that is good to know. So are they not welded in, or are you breaking the weld and removing them? Would you need a new follower for that?

::eta:: I may end up just buying the Dawson's, but if I could save 10 bucks per magazine I would like to.

I am also a c heapskate, but I am gradually learning that it is generally less headache to do it right the first time.

Yea, that is often true. It just adds a fair bit of cost to the setup. And I do want to ensure that my gun will make weight.

Ah that is good to know. So are they not welded in, or are you breaking the weld and removing them? Would you need a new follower for that?

Not welded in but follower would then be too small.

How you like the razor-edge they put on the thumb safety levers? Keep an eye on the extractor tension, these are notorious for losing tension. Great value for sure. You're right about the cost being a wash if you add the Dawson pads later. That's why I just ponied up & bought them complete.

How you like the razor-edge they put on the thumb safety levers? Keep an eye on the extractor tension, these are notorious for losing tension. Great value for sure. You're right about the cost being a wash if you add the Dawson pads later. That's why I just ponied up & bought them complete.

They certainly aren't dull, thats for sure! I may end up taking a file and sandpaper to them and then getting them blued, but we will see. I will be sure to watch out for the extractor tension too. Having not shot it so far, I'm pretty happy with everything it seems to be. The frame/slide fit is dumb tight, like tighter than my 2011. I'm excited for it. I think I will get a 10 pound spring to try, I have an 8 laying around for my open gun but that seems like it might be a little light....

Well I shot my gun yesterday and had no issues with the MecGar, I loaded some 115s 124 and 147 bullets all without adjusting the dies and all functioned perfectly well. I might just go with the MecGar... why mess with what's working right?

I just noticed that the MecGar are out of stock, and there is a note on Greg Cote's site that the basepad may not be compatible with all magwells. I wonder if they work with the Dawson?

Edited by Gooldylocks

• 3 weeks later...