Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weak Hand Draw

Flyin40

I don't have an ambi - so I take it off w/ the strong hand, right before transfer. If I had an ambi, I'd do it with my weak hand thumb, and rest the thumb on top.

I was just messing around with it last night and after about 5 times it could take it off pretty smoothly with the weak hand. I like the strong hand though, just one less thing to screw up in the transfer and shot.

Flyin40

Strong hand is much faster for me, but I do it weak hand, even though it costs me an extra quarter to a third of a second.

I have occasionally had my WH trigger finger slip inside the trigger guard on the transfer. Until I get my technique down, I'd rather be slow than be DQ'd for an AD...

I have occasionally had my WH trigger finger slip inside the trigger guard on the transfer. Until I get my technique down, I'd rather be slow than be DQ'd for an AD...

I don't feel like I loose that much time by using my week hand, but for the sake of safety I like using my week hand thumb as well.

When I draw to transfer to the weak hand I grab the pistol way down on the grip/magazine. This way, when I transfer to the weak hand, I don't have to move the strong hand out of the way. Because of this I remove the safety with my weak hand.

FWIW

dj

• 1 month later...

weak hand.

if your using a open style holster, ie , ghost, cr, hogue etc. whether its open or limited or in my case a open revolver, then you should grab the slide or scope of the gun with your strong hand and do a simple transfer without having to do a hand dance the way you would do if you grab the gun by the grip on the draw.

I draw the gun way back on the grip with 2 fingers and my thumb, then i transfer the gun into the web of my weak hand, after that I disengage the safety as i push the gun toward the target with my weak hand. Good luck and i hope this helps.

I''m serious about gunhandling, so I am not about to draw the gun in a different way, just for a silly match. Also, when you swap hands, it is very easy to "bump on" the safety. I don't carry with an ambi safety, so I don't shoot matches with one.

I''m serious about gunhandling, so I am not about to draw the gun in a different way, just for a silly match. Also, when you swap hands, it is very easy to "bump on" the safety.  I don't carry with an ambi safety, so I don't shoot matches with one.

In case you have not figured it out, everyone here is serious about gun handling. In silly matches. ;)

You have to try to see what's best for you. My short fingers can't reach the ambi with my weak hand. My weak hand is shifting too much if I weak thumb the safety. So, I take it off with my strong.

I grab the tob of the slide, strong hand thumb under the safety to keep it on. I transfer to the weak hand, good easy, clean, strong grib. Then, I swipe the safety with my strong index finger as it leaves the gun. That's the fastest and safest for me. It's better than fumbling with two hands on the grip too.

Oh, by the way. If your drawing strong hand and transferring to your weak hand - it's not serious. It's a game!!! Think about it! If I'm in combat I'm not going to shoot weak hand if my strong hand works!

Indy

• 1 month later...
You have to try to see what's best for you.  My short fingers can't reach the ambi with my weak hand.  My weak hand is shifting too much if I weak thumb the safety.  So, I take it off with my strong.

I grab the tob of the slide, strong hand thumb under the safety to keep it on.  I transfer to the weak hand, good easy, clean, strong grib.  Then, I swipe the safety with my strong index finger as it leaves the gun.  That's the fastest and safest for me.  It's better than fumbling with two hands on the grip too.

Oh, by the way.  If your drawing strong hand and transferring to your weak hand - it's not serious.  It's a game!!!  Think about it!  If I'm in combat I'm not going to shoot weak hand if my strong hand works!

Indy

You might switch to your weak hand depending on your available cover

i draw with my strong hand but instead of holding the grip wile drawing the gun i hold and draw the gun from the slide and then i transfer it to the weak hand and only then the weak hand holds the grip and also take the safety off. i found that this method of drawing works better for me both in terms of safety and speed. In terms of safety, i do not have to worry about changing hands, which means, even if for a friction of a second, that the gun is not being held by either hand. in terms ofspeed, well it's just works better for me.