Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mags won't drop free on limited

Tech32

My mags are tight! I have to pull them out, and it's like pulling a mag out of a tight mag pouch. It's not the grip panels, as I tried it with them off. It appears that the front and back of the mags are rubbing at the top inside the grip. Anyone else have this problem?

To follow up on mine:

I got some new magazines that stuck much worse, even with the Henning magwell moved as far back as it would go. All of the contact causing it to stick is occuring between the back rib on the basepad and the magwell. I know this because every one of them readily drops free with the magwell removed. I sharpied the back rib on the new mag extensions so I can see exactly where it is contacting, and I started removing material from the back of the magwell bit by bit with a dremel. It is now 90% better and the only time they stick now is at slidelock, which should of course never actually happen shooting limited. I might stop now, might continue; not sure yet.

I'm a little familiar with Thane' situation, and it is completely different. He is getting the mag over-inserted into the frame somehow, which is causing it to stick bad, for a different reason. I don't know what the cause or resolution of this is... never had it happen to me or anyone else I know that shoots these before. Stock magwell, stock basepads.

I know of a guy that had an older version of the Henning base pads that he had to file a little off to keep them from hitting the magwell. I think the newer version base pads remedied this?

Ok. I'm not really sure where to go from here. I bought it knowing that it's Italian. (they will be great while they work but its going to take alot of money and time making it reliable coming from experience with their motorcycles) But so far no one seems to know anything about why mine is doing it.

We can take a closer looks this weekend... didn't have enough time last week.

The external dimensions of the magazine should be the same, I believe, regardless of what rounds the mag is for, but yes if they are not marked "K9" or "wit 9 LF" or something like that, it is a problem.

Sounds like a Tanfo Conference is scheduled for the Safe Area at Sparta this weekend. I'll bring mine and show you where I filed the relief area in the back of the magwell.

If i can find the round file i used, i'll bring it with me.