Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
tkheard

Sig 1911 Max sight issue

I went to the range yesterday to get a little practice in before the SS Nationals in two weeks. I couldn't hit the A zone with any reliability. So I started to look at where I was sighted and where my hits were. "Left" was the answer. I spent time adjusting the rear sight to compensate. Long story short, I got it back to the A zone, but the rear sight was WAY off to the right. It worked. Got back to practice and all was good.

So, I decided today that a good cleaning was in order. But, then I noticed the front sight was offset to the right as well. Makes sense from what happened yesterday. Then I pushed (with one finger) the front sight to the left and it snapped back to center. Pushed the other way and it snapped to the right. But, not beyond it, like to the left of center.

So, my question is, what do I do to "fix" it so it's not moveable? Obviously, I don't have the luxury of time to have Sig fix it!

Thanks,

Tom

Purple or Blue Loctite if you don't have Green. Green will seep under better. Yours is unusual. Most times you need the help of a nuclear device to move a Sig sight in the dovetail.

Edited by zzt

My Sig came with a staked front sight, I'm a little surprised yours didn't? Is there a pin? You should be able to see it from the top of the front sight.

FWIW, Sig will send you a 2-day shipping label and probably have it back in your hands in less than a week, if you need to go that route.

Talk to Sig CS today. Said it would be "weeks" to get it back. Rep did say "try some loctite until you can send it in". I will, but sheesh!

Tom: I think it is a Dawson front sight. Remove the sight and clean it up with some break clean or acetone. Clean the slide also. Put a drop of red Loctite on the sight and slide. Reinstall it and let it sit for a day. That should hold it. Thanks, Eric

It's a Dawson F/O front sight. Easy enough to get a replacement from Dawson. If you ordered today, you'd probably have by Thurs/Fri. Easier and much more confident to just fit and replace the front sight vs. Loctite. I'd have a hard time being confident behind the gun at Nats being afraid the sight may move again