Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Movements, how to get faster

hyasuma

So after 1.5 year of competing, I know I am quick on the feet but horrible on movements, entry, exiting and stopping. A friend showed me a great video by Rob Cook on how to move and I think this is a great way for any shooters to learn. Do you have trouble with your movements?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_KorNdYTSQ

I do more strength training and cardio than dry fire. I incorporate exercises that mimic movements in stages.

Yea I do a lot of cardio, play basketball 2-3 times a week. Other than that, I just recently start to do some strength training as well to get back into shape. What sort of exercises do you do to mimic the movements? Thanks

Edited by hyasuma

Core work. One of the exercises is for large target transitions. Bicycle inner tube wrapped around a tree, I grab it and pull the slack out while in the "freestyle" stance. Swing left 90*, try to pause. Back to center. Swing right 90*, try to pause. Back to center. Works quads and core. Do it until I can't pause.

Bus drivers with 25# plate. Then I over head press that plate. That works the front of the shoulders. I do other stuff, Rocky style, at a "gym" in the woods. I hate regular gyms (unless it's snowing).

For leg speed work I add trail runs. The short choppy strides while avoiding rocks, roots and holes works my legs way more than straight 6 milers. Plus it's strengthens the calves and ankles more (just don't roll an ankle).

It's not just explosive speed on one stage. It's doing full speed "run throughs" several times BEFORE going live. Then having the endurance for a 10-12 stage match. That's 40-50 100% stage run throughs.

Thanks a lot! I will be trying these out! :D Going to be shooting at 2016 Indiana SS PRO REV State Championship tomorrow, will train with your input starting next week!

Core work. One of the exercises is for large target transitions. Bicycle inner tube wrapped around a tree, I grab it and pull the slack out while in the "freestyle" stance. Swing left 90*, try to pause. Back to center. Swing right 90*, try to pause. Back to center. Works quads and core. Do it until I can't pause.

Bus drivers with 25# plate. Then I over head press that plate. That works the front of the shoulders. I do other stuff, Rocky style, at a "gym" in the woods. I hate regular gyms (unless it's snowing).

For leg speed work I add trail runs. The short choppy strides while avoiding rocks, roots and holes works my legs way more than straight 6 milers. Plus it's strengthens the calves and ankles more (just don't roll an ankle).

It's not just explosive speed on one stage. It's doing full speed "run throughs" several times BEFORE going live. Then having the endurance for a 10-12 stage match. That's 40-50 100% stage run throughs.

I'm just an aging but improving A shooter, but I've been an athlete all my life. Quick movement is not a problem for me, but quick movement with a gun is something I have had to work on, and am still learning. I do ALL of my movement training with a gun in my hand. I don't even really see the point of shooting-specific training without a gun, but perhaps it makes sense for folks who are less used to athletic movement.

I have had the most success with drills where I go back and forth several times instead of just 1 or 2 movements, such as variations of anderson's call it and leave it drill. One example I set up in my garage in bad weather has about 10' laterally between two barricades with fault lines on the edge ( simulating shooting around a wall). I start with just one open target or one large piece of steel and go back and forth 5 times, doing it as fast as I can call shots. This helps me work on moving quickly, staying low,having the gun up coming into position, and the mechanics of getting into and out of a position where I shoot around a barrier. I keep track of the total time it takes and keep pushing to go faster. After 6-10 minutes, I'll add a partial and some smaller steel shots to each position and then do another few minutes in match mode, where I go only as fast as I can call good shots. When the weather is nicer, I can set up longer back and forth runs in the back yard. I shoot SS and production mostly, so I often throw a reload into those drill.

You can also set it up with plain old shooting boxes, or low ports, or whatever you want to work on, which helps keep it fresh.

For most people that aren't in terrible shape, I think moving fast enough to be competitive is pretty easy. But many people simply don't move as fast when holding a gun as they do without one, probably because they don't practice moving fast while holding a gun. The other big issues are leaving as soon as you are done shooting, and starting to shoot as soon as you have a good enough sight picture to do so, even if you are still moving in or setting up.

Edited by motosapiens

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard that dead lifts and squats help build explosive movement. Polymetric work is essential also-box jumps.

But here is the deal, those both employ both legs many physical activities use one leg to initiate the movement so try pistols-one legged squats.

I have been doing the first three for about 7 months now and starting to incorporate pistols.

My movement has improved significantly. Low ports -- love 'em now!

On the range; I will either use two boxes to got back and forth or two target stands with a large cut out to simulate ports and do the same.

There are three types of gun positioning for me-really short couple of step the hands on the gun and in front of my face, a little longer distance the support hand is relaxed but still on the gun, more distance-support hand off the gun, pumping away and the gun is still in front of my face.

Just some thoughts.

Thanks! that is very helpful! I'm currently on the process to clean up my basement and will be setting up some targets up. Thanks for the tips!

I'm just an aging but improving A shooter, but I've been an athlete all my life. Quick movement is not a problem for me, but quick movement with a gun is something I have had to work on, and am still learning. I do ALL of my movement training with a gun in my hand. I don't even really see the point of shooting-specific training without a gun, but perhaps it makes sense for folks who are less used to athletic movement.

I have had the most success with drills where I go back and forth several times instead of just 1 or 2 movements, such as variations of anderson's call it and leave it drill. One example I set up in my garage in bad weather has about 10' laterally between two barricades with fault lines on the edge ( simulating shooting around a wall). I start with just one open target or one large piece of steel and go back and forth 5 times, doing it as fast as I can call shots. This helps me work on moving quickly, staying low,having the gun up coming into position, and the mechanics of getting into and out of a position where I shoot around a barrier. I keep track of the total time it takes and keep pushing to go faster. After 6-10 minutes, I'll add a partial and some smaller steel shots to each position and then do another few minutes in match mode, where I go only as fast as I can call good shots. When the weather is nicer, I can set up longer back and forth runs in the back yard. I shoot SS and production mostly, so I often throw a reload into those drill.

You can also set it up with plain old shooting boxes, or low ports, or whatever you want to work on, which helps keep it fresh.

For most people that aren't in terrible shape, I think moving fast enough to be competitive is pretty easy. But many people simply don't move as fast when holding a gun as they do without one, probably because they don't practice moving fast while holding a gun. The other big issues are leaving as soon as you are done shooting, and starting to shoot as soon as you have a good enough sight picture to do so, even if you are still moving in or setting up.

Awesome! Will be trying them out!

I have heard that dead lifts and squats help build explosive movement. Polymetric work is essential also-box jumps.

But here is the deal, those both employ both legs many physical activities use one leg to initiate the movement so try pistols-one legged squats.

I have been doing the first three for about 7 months now and starting to incorporate pistols.

My movement has improved significantly. Low ports -- love 'em now!

On the range; I will either use two boxes to got back and forth or two target stands with a large cut out to simulate ports and do the same.

There are three types of gun positioning for me-really short couple of step the hands on the gun and in front of my face, a little longer distance the support hand is relaxed but still on the gun, more distance-support hand off the gun, pumping away and the gun is still in front of my face.

Just some thoughts.

Explosive speed is one thing, but being smooth into the next position is critical for speed as well. And being able to break that next shot the instant it becomes available.

Get to shooting - everything else is wasted time.