Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DIY trigger job P320

want2race

Usually it doesn't take long after a gun comes out that DIY stuff starts to show up. I can tune the hell out of an M&P but I spent a few hours looking over the internals of a 320 and so far all I can do is 4# without major changes. My M&P is 2.75# with a stupid short reset. I'm starting to come around on the 320 (slowly), but until I can get 3# or less I'm not interested. The trigger resetting sear may be the limiting factor as far as reset length but that's not as important as break feel to me. I'm too impatient to wait for the Competition model to come out. Plus I like to tinker. The trigger pull of just the trigger mech, no slide, is 4.5# stock. I figure I need to knock that down to 2.5 before putting the slide assembly in play.

I searched here but didn't find much DIY stuff. Interesting.

Honestly, I don't even remember. However, I wrote down notes and tested everything along the way. Just don't have it with me right now. I have another stock 320 and I'm going "all in" on this one to see what can be done by the DIYer. Also want to recheck accuracy on this one. The first one was under-welming.

Sig seems to be slow walking the release of any factory approved tuning parts. Gray is doing a lot of work in house, and is working on some drop in parts, but they are not out yet.... and I'd expect most of that production to be funneled into custom shop competition editions. Not sure if they are trying to drive demand for the upcoming competition editions, or driving work to smiths....right now lots of people sending their gun off to have the trigger smith tuned.

I like the way they handle, and I'd shoot a 320 - but not til the drop in trigger parts come out and are available.

The factory trigger on the 320 is "good", actually very good for a stock trigger but i still cant help but want something better for games.

Im absolutely dying to get SOMETHING done to the gun that doesnt cost time and oodles of money. Im sure the trigger work out there is "worth" it but ive always been a drop in man myself. I guess im spoiled by Glocks, M&P"s and already established platforms like the CZ75.

Bruce gray says is drop in trigger parts are now in production and he is finalizing the finishing process for them. Not sure how far out that would put them.

You try running the gun with just one sear spring. That will change the feel but should bring down the weight. For the real breakthrough it takes some geometry changes that Bruce Gray isn't even a fan of having to perform. His new drop-in triggers address that of course and they also add another internal component that makes the thing drop safe even if no sear springs are present. It also includes a full spring kit. You can, of course, adjust the timing on the double click while you are playing around if you are finding that to be too far off. Once you start playing with where the striker is released you will also likely have to readjust timing on the trigger reset (second click) to assure you don't short stroke your reset.

In the meantime I am spoiled because of Bruce. My primary P320's trigger pulls straight back at 3lb 3oz. Less if I pull it at an angle. It feels great and is still using a full powered striker spring so I have had zero issues with igniting primers of any kind.

Spent some more time comparing this 320 to my M&P last week. I haven't changed the recoil spring in the 320 yet, so my comparison is slightly skewed. Testing back to back with +p and non +p ammo, the M&P is flatter shooting. I will drop the recoil spring rate down comparable to the M&P and test again. I find it just moves around a little more. It is more accurate though, stock. Trigger work definitely helps when shooting groups.

320 grip is super nice, just needs texture. I like the solid trigger over the M&P hinge safety trigger. Most favorable thing about the gun (now) is the sear click during dry fire. Now that I know how to correct the timing (if it's off slightly) to get the striker release and sear reset closer together it doesn't bother me anymore. Kind of makes dry fire enjoyable. Weird I know...

I like the Medium if that's what comes standard. Curious about the large though. Is it wider and longer (front to back)? Just longer?

Both thicker and longer. Not dramatically so but it can make a difference.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have shot a number of gray guns and one another guy is doing. This gun really amazing but the after market stuff needs to start flowing. I felt a grip a Sig team member has and love the changes done to it. With a new grip and drop in trigger i think these guns are going to be awesome for uspsa.

I have shot a number of gray guns and one another guy is doing. This gun really amazing but the after market stuff needs to start flowing. I felt a grip a Sig team member has and love the changes done to it. With a new grip and drop in trigger i think these guns are going to be awesome for uspsa.

Chances are good that the grip was one of the current factory grips that was worked over with a glue and grit job by me. The P320 makes it very low risk to do some more radical grip modifications and I have done more than a few. In regards to the grip, there are some nice changes coming on the horizon that should further optimize this gun for competitions.

I did Tim's grip. Again, it's just a standard medium grip with a 46/70 grit silicon carbide glue and grit job performed. Most of the team now runs a grip that I have worked on.

The new grip should resemble the one shown below. It's also built off of a medium grip but has some notable enhancements. Much larger magwell, flatter sides (to aid in tracking and indexing), taller beaver tail, undercut trigger guard and raised ledge under the slide catch for better support hand traction while helping to minimize inadvertent contact with the slide catch.

Sig-P320-Target.jpg