Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Open1215

.357 vs .355 9mm

Hello all.

Seems that I've screwed up again :goof: shocker I know.

I ordered some xtreams w the free shipping weekend and got some 147s to try out production. I thought I got the mom .355 like I always order for 9 but they arrived and are the .357 I didn't even know they made them. So... Did I order 1000 useless paperweights or can I run these w a slightly lower charge? Should I even bother loading them?

I was going to go w TG and aim for 135pf. Should I try a slower powder and light load? See how they run or what?

Gun is a grand power x-cal 4.99in barrel. I have 1911 9mm I can load them for too if the 1911 would be a bit more forgiving w no pf. Just bunny farts for plinking.

Any help would be awesome! Thanks again.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I have used Eggleston coated 147s sized to .357 in a STI and Kart 9MM without issue.

I cast and powder coat my own 147s and still size them to .357. its less work to push them through the sizer and the barrel dosent seem to care.

2.9 gains of Titegroup with a 5" barrel with get me minor power factor.

Didn't know that weight was available in .357". Sounds like you've got good excuse to buy a revolver. I'd recommend a 627 for competition or a 686 for a good general purpose wheelgun.

Sometimes mistakes turn into opportunities.

Edited by aandabooks

Lol. I don't see buying a revo.

I know w lead the .357 isn't an issue just not sure w plated.

these are plated bullets?

I think you will be ok...

you will need to change your process for making your ammo

do the plunk test to see how they fit in your barrels.

and If you are using the lee FCD you may have problems

with thick wall cases and the crimp/swaging.

last is that your crimp point is very likely to change.

miranda

Ok. Good to know. Im loading on a 650 so I think I'll be set w the crimp. Yes they are plated bullets. I think it's a pretty thin plate to stop smoke. The more I think about it the more I think I'll be ok. I'll cut one n look to see how soft/thin the coating is.

I've shot 8K + of the .357 Extreme 9mm through Sigs, Glocks and H&Ks. No problems at all.

Mike

I've shot 8K + of the .357 Extreme 9mm through Sigs, Glocks and H&Ks. No problems at all.

Mike

Did you have to down load them at all? Or charge for .355 work? I'm going to do all the typical load development anyways to see what shoots properly and what makes power factor out of this specific model anyways. Just curious as for a starting point.

I KNOW you will be OK. I shoot 0.356-.357" jacketed and 0.357-0.358" lead all the time.

Load work-up has always been the same and I have always started at the start load.

You may be very surprised how accurate 0.357" bullets are in 9x19.

Mike

Did you have to down load them at all? Or charge for .355 work? I'm going to do all the typical load development anyways to see what shoots properly and what makes power factor out of this specific model anyways. Just curious as for a starting point.

Same charge.

The .357" Xtreme's are GTG in 9mm. I started using them as the factory barrels in my two guns were a little on the big side at .3565". I got a new barrel for one of the guns and it's .3545". I still use the .357's and they work great.

Loaded them up tonight and went to the local range. Gun ran like a top! 3.0g clay dot @ 1.150 everything feed and shot dead nuts on. I really like them. Going to bump it up to 3.2 for PF and shoot my 1st match with the new gun Fri night. :-) very pleased. Thank you all for the help.