Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ambi-Safety's for Lefties

dpollard

What are all you lefties out there using for ambi safety's that function reliably and hold up to repeated use? I have found the STI ambi safety and the ED brown ambi safety to fail after a very short time. The linkage just does not seem to be strong enough to withstand the disengaging it from the right side. After a while the tolerances get so loose the safety will be pressed completely down but not disengage it.

I have a Phoenix Trinity in my 2011 and it has been the only one that has been reliable. I have an STI Trojan on the way and I am looking to put in an ambi safety but when I spoke to PT on the phone they said it may not work in a 1911 platform. Looking for other options...

Kings was my go to but are out of production. The EGW is very close in construction so that is where I would go. The single best move was for me to heat and bend the right side paddle so it makes hard contact with the grip when off. Hard to break them set up like that.

They said it may fit on some 1911's and not others. They did not go into detail as to why.

Did PT mention why it may not work with a 1911? I have theirs on a 2011 and just can't imagine why it wouldn't work.

Jon