Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

whacky diet my Dr made me do for the ole ticker...

librarian45

On 5/4/2016 at 7:52 PM, 21 shooter said:

A friend tried the almost zero carb diet. He was drinking nearly a gallon of water a day. Stud he was thirsty all the time. Anyone familiar with this ?

Ye, carbs in your body leads to more retention of water. It's vital to not only drink a gallon of water, but to up your salt intake a whole lot. The 'FDA' levels of sodium are too low on a low/zero carb diet. 

On 5/3/2016 at 5:37 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

What kind of fat?

What do you eat for dinner?

Animal fats, oils, and advacados too. Dinner is a some kind of fatty meat, maybe fried with a pork rind or almond flour batter. Light salad with homemade vinigrette. Maybe tacos with shells made out of cheese. There's a whole lot of free recipes on the web. 

2 hours ago, OrondoShooter said:

Duke University   cured type 2 diabetes in dozens of patients overy the course of a few years. 

I was diagnosed with Pre-Diabetes 10-15 years ago.

Managed it with exercise and eating more sensibly - fewer carbs (esp the simple carbs) and less fat (esp

animal fat).

My pre-diabetes is MUCH BETTER than it was, at 73 than at 58.

BUT, eating a lot of fat/oils doesn't sound right to me - I had to cut them way back.

• 1 month later...

Lost 60lbs in 3 months on a modified keto diet.  Felt great the whole way.  A week or so in the carb and sugar cravings went away.  I just wanted to see if it worked more than anything.  Now I use the knowledge I gained from the experience to maintain my new weight and I plan meals to avoid crashes.  

5 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

What are the modifications?     By crashes are you referring to low blood sugar episodes?

Modified keto isn't as hardcore but follows the basic principals of the diet.  You're still basically eliminating refined carbs and sugars, replacing with healthy fats and proteins.  By crashes I am referring to low blood sugar which is caused by an insulin dump which is caused by our bodies trying to process ever so tasty carb and sugar rich food that's available everywhere.  It's not the turkey at Thanksgiving that makes Uncle Pete fall asleep in the the recliner while watching football.  ;)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just stumbled onto this thread. Bunch of us at work were turned onto The Carb Nite Solution by John Keifer. He is a body builder and chemist. He was looking for a practical way to burn fat, not just loose weight. It is very much like keto, but once a week we have a carb night. Theory is the carbs you have once a week fuels your metabolism for the coming week. Plus you never feel deprived forever; I make mental lists of carbs I want to have on my carb night. You can have carb night no sooner than 4 days since the last one. It is not a lifestyle diet, but a 6 month body retraining diet. I did it for 5 months and went off for 2. I pretty much went back to how I was eating prior, and gained 3-5 pounds. I went back on a couple weeks ago, and am loosing fat again. We can have 30g. or less of carbs a day, about 2 pieces of bread. I'm down 30lbs. total, and about 4" on my waist. Most of the rapid "30lbs. in 2 weeks" diets are water weight. Which is a great motivator, but not really what we really need. I really recommend the book. It's on Amazon.

Last 2 nights I've had big ribeyes and asparagus. Breakfast is bacon and eggs. There are so many great keto recipes. Rule one is never be hungry, that is when you make bad decisions.

• 1 month later...

Just eat whole foods and watch your calories. A diet is temporary that’s how nutritionist continue to make money. You must start something you are prepared to do forever. Your body needs carbs to create energy just watch sugars and processed foods.