Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 light strike question

MilkMyDuds

My Stock 2 has been running 100% reliably until the last range trip where I had 2 light strikes out of 300 rounds. I use 100% Winchester small pistol primers.

The gun has about 3800 rounds on it and a month of daily dry-fire. I do not cut coils on any of the springs. I did the polishing and used mostly Xtreme parts:

- Xtreme light hammer spring

- Xtreme light striker spring

- Xtreme Titan hammer

- Xtreme firing pin

- Xtreme firing pin block and spring

etc.

Could it be the Xtreme light hammer and striker springs can last only this long? What's your experience with them? As I am new to the Tanfo platform, I wouldn't mind learning that these Xtreme springs have short life time, like every 3000 rounds or so. Just need to know and prepare.

Or maybe it's the faulty primers? I have not had any faulty WSP primers ever... But these 2 light strikes, I could not fire them with my carry gun either. So that makes me wonder.

Hi,

my experience is, that after 4.000 - 5.000 rounds the xtreme(or almost every kind of) hammer spings tend to get even lighter(weaker), so i change them every time, when i start to get light strikes.

Or try the medium one... they also become light enough aber 1.000 - 2.000 rounds. But in this case i recommend to use also the medium striker spring from Grauffel.

But maybe, you have to check the length of your firing pin block - maybe it is a little big to long and scratches a little bit against your firing pin ans slows it down just a little bit.

And if your spings get a little bit weaker, this won´t help... neither.

I would question the primer seated depth or the firing pin safety hanging up.

Have you set a "pencil launch" height baseline? I mark da and sa launched heights and check them on detail strip. The heights are dang uniform, if they didn't change...it's not the gun.

In fact I did mark the pencil test height baseline. Although I could not find the original pencil that I used to do the baseline, I could tell that DA height has decreased a bit, not much, maybe 2-3 inches. SA height has not change from what I can tell.

Primer seating is a bit below flush as all the rest I loaded. I carefully checked for marks on the FPB and the FP, but could not see any sign of forceful contact between those two.

Right now, I am heavily leaning towards the conclusion that Xtreme hammer spring (light) has a very short lifetime of about 4000 live rounds and 30 days of heavy dry fire.

I have a stock2 and a stock3 with all the same xtreme tuning parts from E.G. So it´s easy for me to make a comparison between a lot of details and i can tell, that you should be happy, that your gun runs like you mentioned with all the light parts, as it does... so, i´d say... never touch a running system.

Ok, i have to confess, that i just shoot factory ammo and it costs more effort, to make the guns run with the light stuff all the time... maybe, because i don´t use the titan-hammer. Just the OEM-hammer on the stock3 and the xtreme-delta-hammer on the stock2.

I shoot the stock2 about 95% of the time, so i have to buy new springs in the stock2 all 5.000 shots or almost 1x every year. The springs in the stock3 will last - i guess - 5 - 6 years.

I would just buy new springs, if you have light-strikes... especially in double-action. There is no big miracle about springs... i think.

Yeah, the strange part I noticed is that my Limited Pro shoots the same pencil 2-3 inches lower on DA than the Stock 2, yet the Limited Pro has only 1000 rounds on it and has been 100% ignition with WSP primers. And both guns have identical internals (except long slide recoil spring on Limited Pro)

Edited by MilkMyDuds

Do you replace just hammer springs, or both hammer and striker springs together? Do the wolff springs work well with extreme striker springs?

Thanks.

I used the EG firing pin return spring with untouched 13# and 14# wolf hammer spring.

Right now I have a 14# wolf spring with 2 coils cut and a eg firing pin spring with many coils cut. Free state, there are 7 coils past the fiting pin tip with the spring seated on the pin. DA is just under 6# and SA is under 2#.

Edited by johnbu

Just to follow up:

I shot another 600 rounds since last time. 100% ignition. My ammo were all loaded with identical components, though I loaded them on different days. The only difference I made was to clean the gun, and lube the gun with slip2000 instead of slide glide lite after the last time.

I started to think that it may be the combination of grease + gravel ground at my range that possibly traps dust/small gravels in the FP/FPB channel.

A couple weeks ago, I did have 1 incident where a dropped mag carried some small pieces of gravels into the gun, and they landed right under the trigger bar plunger, causing the plunger not be able to drop all the way, thus dead trigger. If your range has gravel ground, watch out where you grease your gun. And make sure no gravels are inside the mag, especially when you drop one that is not fully empty.