Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Video editing software?

LeviSS

I'm looking for video editing software to cut down footage from my Contour. I don't need anything fancy, just to be able to cut out all the boring stuff.

It can be for Mac or PC. My girlfriend has an Apple laptop, but I never use it. It might even have a program on it already.

Suggestions?

The GoPro editor is definitely easy but I tried it with some non GoPro footage and it didn't like the format and wouldn't let me edit. Might be an easy fix wth a format change but currently that's over my head haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On windows use Windows Live Movie Maker, free to download in the Live Essentials software suite.

On a Mac I prefer iMovie, downloadable from the app store for $15 I believe.

Here is my video channel, I've used iMovie in the more recent videos and Windows Live Movie Maker in the older ones. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POmutMkCgpHRXUdJ5xOlw

iMovie on the mac should be included or a free download if its a newer machine and works well. I used it a few times to sync my head camera with film for picture in picture movie.

For splicing videos together, I just use https://www.youtube.com/editor

It's built into youtube, and (obviously) free. Not perfect, though. The titles & labels I add only show up on the PC version, so you don't see them on a phone or tablet.

And I haven't been able to do picture-in-picture. I'd like to sync head cam and other cam footage at the same time. I may try iMovie for that in the future.

Here's a match from last summer:

I played with iMovie the other day. I hate Macs. I'm gonna mess around with it hopefully in the next few days.

I'm not terribly proficient on a Mac either. But since my 10+ year old PC is really slow and needs to be replaced (I'm not much of a techie, can you tell), I can try to get by on the wife's Macbook.

I like Sony Vegas or Movie Studio. It takes a little bit of patience to learn, but it's really easy to use once you become familiar with it.

I've used and loved Sony Vegas for years...Great NLE program, and very intuitive. But video is my second hobby, and I have as much or more money invested in video gear and software, as I do in shooting.

A full version of Vegas will set you back $400 - 600, depending on version....upgrades are $150 or so every couple of years. Plus, you need some fairly serious computing power....

Sony Movie Studio is basicly a cut back version of Vegas, at a much reduced price. I understand it works well.

Bob

I use Movie Maker for my PC. Easy enough to add titles, captions, split and join movies. I did not try syncing other videos though but I think it can be done. I just searched YouTube on how to do each item and was up and running in no time.