Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

At what point is the Nordic HD mag spring necessary?

TonytheTiger

First a story to go along with the question: I ran a 10 round tube with the standard spring cut 7" past the tube all last year. I was very pleased with loadability (word of the day) at max capacity and spring pressure on the last round in a tube, and reliability was flawless. Over the winter I decided my manhood would be in question without a 12 round tube, and when I saw the HD spring option I knew it stood for Huge Dick so I bought one. Well, by the time I had it cut so that it was possible to load 12, the last round barely pooped onto the lifter. Reliability was fine over 300 rounds of testing but loading full sucked and the last round pressure seemed unsatisfactory. So I cut a standard spring to 8" past and suddenly loading full sucks less and the last round ejects from the tube with a roar reminiscent of the MGM lions. Not only does this challenge my understanding of springs, it makes me wonder what the hell the HD spring is for and who uses it? Is there a particular tube length where it becomes necessary? Or is my experience just an anomaly?

I bought an HD spring and it worked great in my 11 shot tube. But it took lots of testing to get it to feel right. The HD spring takes up less space in the tube than the standard spring, so says Nordic's website.

I just bought a +8 so I can't use the HD spring anymore, but they were out when we ordered, so I'm gonna have to play with the standard spring.

Notice on the packages, the recommended lengths and behaviors of the two springs are different.

Really? someone came out with a HD spring for the mag tube? What a break thru!!

STD spring is all you need.......it's the best out there. Someone musta been smokin crack that day.

Tim

Edited by TRUBL