Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you keep EGD grip tight?

MilkMyDuds

I have used factory wood, Henning and SSI scale grips with no problems. Few hundred rounds on each.

The only issue is with the EGD extreme grips, and only on the right side grip. The left side grip has held tight through a couple thousand rounds (after I used blue Loctite). However, the right side grip becomes loose after 100 or so rounds even with blue Loctite. When it becomes loose, I can feel the panel moving a bit to start with, then the screw becomes loose and I can unscrew it easily as if no Loctite has ever been applied.

I noticed the backside of the screw area on the right side grip appears to be scratched, maybe due to movements/friction with the frame after it becomes loose. These scratch marks do not appear on the left side grip. And the frame of the gun around the screw hole is smooth with no obvious marks or burrs.

No problem when dry firing. Only becomes loose in live fire, after 100 or so rounds. I suppose the vibration is causing this? I am surprised Loctite cannot hold

What would be the best way to keep the right side grip tight all the time? Any suggestions? Should I try Loctite red? Besides using the original extreme screws, I have also tried using Henning screws. Same result. Always becomes loose after 100 or so rounds.

Thanks.

post-56818-0-55928600-1460750911_thumb.j

post-56818-0-64157500-1460750916_thumb.j

I put blue LT in the CLEAN, DEGREASED hole and screw. Then I let it sit overnight. Until getting obsessive on the clean and oil free, I had the same issue.

Thanks! I assume Acetone is what's used to clean out the Loctite and oil/grease, etc? I will try the Blue one more time with CLEAN hole and screw and report back :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just to report back: both panels are loose again after 2k rounds or so... I followed all steps, and even used brand new Xtreme screws. This may be a design or manufacturing defect with these Xtreme grips. I guess I will just have to red loctite them up every 2k rounds.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

I've lately been having the same issue with my SSI grips. it's really a design failure of the tanfoglio's and CZ's just using a single screw to retain the grip panels. Unfortunately any torque your hand applies to that grip (assuming there is event a tiny bit of space for the grip to move) will start working the screw loose.

The best grips are ones that fit in so tight you need a rubber mallet to fit them.

Even cleaning out hole and screw and re-loctite-ing doesn't always last for me either. Always check also to make sure the threads on the screw are not damaged and that the threads in the frame are ok too. a cross thread will really bugger it up.

A little "JB Weld" around the edges?

Just kidding. It does sound like the Barron is correct, grip torque is making it move and unscrew.

I am surprised red loctite 271 loosens, but stuff happens.

On my Sig P238 and Caspian .45 I experienced the same problem. I found a very easy solution online and I hope it will work for you. I purchased Danco 96774 #60 O-Rings (10-Pack) at Amazon and these have kept my grips tight through thousands of rounds(.45) and hundreds through my .380. Hope this helps.

On my Sig P238 and Caspian .45 I experienced the same problem. I found a very easy solution online and I hope it will work for you. I purchased Danco 96774 #60 O-Rings (10-Pack) at Amazon and these have kept my grips tight through thousands of rounds(.45) and hundreds through my .380. Hope this helps.

Excellent! Where should I place these orings exactly? I suppose around the screw hole between the grip and the frame? Would that raise the panels up too much to cause gaps where the grip edges touch the frame? Thanks.

green loctite

Green is retaining compound. Not half as strong as red. Unless you meant to put green loctite where panels touch the frame...That may work.

From my personal experience using green on front sights, they don't glue well. I had both Dawson front sights loose on my 2 tanfos already where I have applied green loctite as directed.

• 1 month later...

Update Blue loctite on my left grip has stopped it loosening. I put it on the screw thread, in the hole and on the frame where I saw marks from movement.

Let it set for 24hrs

3 matches and a good amount of dry fire no movement from the screw :-)

Edited by goshimu

Someone asked before and yes it does seem to me that rubber (cz) and wood (tanfo) do seem to last longer before they break loose.

Another guy mentioned jb weld and in fact you could do that as there's nothing you need to do on the gun that the grips would prevent you doing short of:

Recoating the frame

Changing to new grips (duh)

Fitting a magwell

Anything else can be done with the grips in place including a full strip etc.

Loctite works for me periodically but sooner or later they all get loose and I clean everything up and loctite again...

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah. Degreasing the frame and threads really well then applying a few drops of red loctite to the grip where it locks into the frame, and on the screw?

That did the trick. I'm using SSI Scales 2 now, though. They haven't worked loose in dryfire. I haven't shot with them yet