Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer questions and division legalities

TFin04

Made the switch to CZ from Glock and plan to shoot USPSA Production and IDPA CCP.

I bought a used SP01 Tactical with CGW hammer and parts. Do I understand correctly this hammer is not Production legal?

I also have a stock P01 I would like to shoot CCP with. Being a short ESP gun, is the CGW hammer legal here?

Basically, I would like to buy a hammer to make my SP01 production legal. If I could reuse the CGW hammer in the P01 that would be great.

What decocker hammer would you recommend for the SP01 in Production?

Thanks for your time, trying to sort out the CZ parts and acronyms has been.....challenging.

The CZ Custom hammer is the only hammer legal for production.

The CGW hammer would be legal for CCP.

I'd email CGW about swapping hammers just to be sure.

Edited by LeviSS

I think I read something here the CZ Custom hammer isn't production legal anymore. Not 100%, hopefully somebody will correct me if I'm wrong

Can anyone confirm whether the CZC hammer is still Production legal? That might effect whether I shoot the CZ this year or stick to striker guns. I'll email CZC but they usually take a few days to reply. Thanks.

Edited by TFin04

I think I read something here the CZ Custom hammer isn't production legal anymore. Not 100%, hopefully somebody will correct me if I'm wrong

How would it not be production legal? It is a factory part available on a production approved gun direct from CZ (not only CZ custom).

The clarification I received was that a FACTORY CZ USA hammer is legal, this could not include the CGW custom comp hammers or any other custom or after market hammer produced by anyone other than CZ USA or CZ UB

By that it is my understanding that this is legal:

COMPETITION HAMMER SA/DA
Product Number: 19504
Availability: In Stock
This would not be:
CGW’s popular Race Hammer Kit with adjustable sear. Now anyone can drop in a high performance hammer at home and achieve custom gunsmith results. Hammers start out as billet blanks, are Electron Discharge Machined (EDM), precision surface ground, heat treated to RC53 (OEM is RC45), then finished in a deep black oxide for a beautiful appearance. Typical SA drop in pull weight is 3.4 – 3.10 pounds

My next question is how would anyone know what hammer you are using? You would have to be a CZ and CZ aftermarket parts expert to tell what hammer soneone really has.

Personally I feel as long as a part doesn't differ drastically from a stock part AND is available to the public then It is ok to use in Production. Is there a distinct advantage over the stock Shadow hammer and the GGW hammer?

My next question is how would anyone know what hammer you are using? You would have to be a CZ and CZ aftermarket parts expert to tell what hammer soneone really has.

Personally I feel as long as a part doesn't differ drastically from a stock part AND is available to the public then It is ok to use in Production. Is there a distinct advantage over the stock Shadow hammer and the GGW hammer?

And I'm good with that personally myself, but I am new to USPSA and IDPA after shooting 2-gun matches for years. In 2-gun around me, you are classified based on your rifle setup, and the pistols can be anything you want.

I have no idea how strict USPSA or IDPA around me is going to be. I have to buy a second hammer anyway to get my second gun running how I want, so if I can do it while following the rules that would be best. I intend to make pistol competition my new focus, and getting DQ'd from a match after a season of practice and matches because of a stupid hammer is an easily avoidable problem IMO.

The czc comp hammers are from czub, and the shadow hammers are pulled from shadows, if you ever get a non decocker cz, I've found both to be pretty equal.

This:

http://czcustom.com/cz-parts-all/cz-comp-hammer-decocker-only.html

Is the one you need for your tac, since the hammer hooks are a different shape I believe.

Thanks for your help, I am on the notification list for it to come in stock. CZC emailed me back and quoted "a couple weeks." Guess I'll be the outlaw if they aren't in before the next match I shoot. ;)

Edited by TFin04

How would it not be production legal? It is a factory part available on a production approved gun direct from CZ (not only CZ custom).

Per rule 21.6 "Any other components which are externally visible may ONLY be replaced with OFM parts which are offered on the specific model of gun or another approved gun from the same manufacturer except as specifically clarified below." Basically, if the part is available on another CZ gun that is on the approved Production pistol list you can use that part.

#1 My next question is how would anyone know what hammer you are using? You would have to be a CZ and CZ aftermarket parts expert to tell what hammer soneone really has.

#2.1 Personally I feel as long as a part doesn't differ drastically from a stock part AND is available to the public then It is ok to use in Production. #2.2 Is there a distinct advantage over the stock Shadow hammer and the GGW hammer?

Magee,.... I was hoping you would chime in on this one.

1 - very possible,...BUT you would have to be familiar with the nuances,...they are slight put it's possible and only takes that one

2.1 - refer to 2.2 below

2.2 - I agree 100%, the CGW hammer, shadow hammer and CZ Comp hammer (and probably any other hammer for that fact) would not give a distinct competitive advantage. Similar to the reply regarding the CGW bushing, SP Magazine release for M&P and a few other exceptions. Visually noticeable, yeah (to some),.... but not an advantage over other permitted items.

The last major match I shot, it was drop the gun in the box, check the safeties, and weigh the gun. They weren't even correct on the weight of some guns. Two people in my squad had to get the correct weight off the interweb using their phones.

We are getting in an area where some of the rules are enforceable. I don't even know what hammers are in my guns.

My shadow was purchased used. I'm the 3rd owner. The other 2 were production shooters too, who knows what hammer it has.

The last major match I shot, it was drop the gun in the box, check the safeties, and weigh the gun. They weren't even correct on the weight of some guns. Two people in my squad had to get the correct weight off the interweb using their phones.

We are getting in an area where some of the rules are enforceable. I don't even know what hammers are in my guns.

My shadow was purchased used. I'm the 3rd owner. The other 2 were production shooters too, who knows what hammer it has.

It's pretty easy to tell the standard shadow/ sp-01 hammer, the CZ comp hammer, and the Cajun gun works hammers apart. The chrono guy at a major has likely seen a bunch of the production legal hammers by now, so anything that looks different stands out.

On less common guns it's going to be harder to tell what is what.