Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best load for 38 super major

shooter52

need some information please. I shoot an STI 38 super 3 port comp with

3 holes in the barrel. I have been using HS-7 for years. I have now run out . need to know what would be the best load & powder to use. I have Remington +P nickel plated brass and MG 124gr HP bullets

Some real exotic powders out there, but I'd guess you'd be

happier with a 115 grain bullet (MG 115 JHP). :cheers:

By exotic powders, I mean there are powders that are NOT

good in 9mm Major (WAC, HS6, etc).

With your extra case capacity, there are supposed to be some

really super (pun intended) powders that cannot be used by

me (9mm Major).

It comes down to how much you want to spend really. The 'best' powder is vv 3n38 or n105. The best bullets are probably hornady HAP in whichever weight you prefer (115, 121 or 124gn).

People get great results with other brand jhps like Montana gold, precision delta or zero.

For primers federal small pistol or small rifle are the way to go.

As far as exact charge weight and oal that's something everyone needs to determine for themselves in their particular gun. But generally speaking an oal between 1.235 and 1.250 is in the ball park.

I'd suggest try some 3n38 or n105 with your current mg jhps. When they run out perhaps try some 115s.

Just so happens I got my 38 Super Dies from Dillon today..........hopefully my Tanfoglio 38 Super Gold Team will be here tomorrow.

I like Ramshot Silhouette in my .40 Tanfoglio Gold Team
So I plan on loading 124gr with Slihouette using Ramshots load guide.....7.2 gr

I also ran VV 3N37 in the .40 ...liked it too plan on trying it as well.

Not sure how the Tanfoglio GT will compare to the STI in regards these loads, but maybe this will be helpful to you.

Since I am still a bit new on reloading.....I tend to trust GrumpyOne and BeerBaron they have been VERY helpful to me. (BTW: THANKS GUYS! )

Edited by DenverDave

Some real exotic powders out there, but I'd guess you'd be

happier with a 115 grain bullet (MG 115 JHP). :cheers:

By exotic powders, I mean there are powders that are NOT

good in 9mm Major (WAC, HS6, etc).

With your extra case capacity, there are supposed to be some

really super (pun intended) powders that cannot be used by

me (9mm Major).

I am still confused by people recommending 115 bullets in Super. I tried them and the were horrid. 78% of Open Nats competitors shot a 124/125 grain bullet. Only 12% were using 115's

What I found is that the faster-slow powders in the range of HS-6/WAC/Silhouette/CFE are better with 124 grain bullets. With 115 grainers these powders are just too blasty and the dot doesn't track as predictably for me. Slower-slow powders like N105 and AA#7 (my favorite) are much better with 115 gr bullets and the dot tracks very well. From a strictly feel standpoint I like the feel of 124 grain bullets. For me the test was to do some drills (bill and vice presidente type drills) with both and get the times. With the right powder 115grain bullets give me slightly better results. With the wrong powders, not better results. YMMV.

slow powders (HS-6/WAC/Silhouette/CFE) are better with 124 grain bullets.

Slower-slow powders like N105 and AA#7 are much better with 115 gr bullets and the dot tracks very well.

The big disadvantage of .38 super is the whole cartridge case thing ...

The only advantage of the .38 super is that instead of using 9mm major loads

(124 grain bullets and WAC/ HS6) you can improve the way the gun handles

with 115 gr bullets and N105 or AA7 powder.

If you're going to shoot 124 gr bullets and WAC, you would be much better

off shooting a 9mm major.

IMHO. :closedeyes:

Jack are just here to tell everyone how smart you are for shooting 9 major? Or do you just like being a a$$? Try posting something useful.

That said, I'm pretty happy with long Shot. Also called loud shot. I think I'm at about 7.6 gr. but I need more time with the chrony I may want to bump it up some. I was waiting for a little warmer weather to do more testing. I worked up this load in the middle of winter.

well I will be sticking to 124gr and 38 super. to much money already invested in brass bullets and gun. I just shoot local mostly anyway just for fun because I like shooting and like the sport. too old now to worry about how fast I am

Jack are just here to tell everyone how smart you are for shooting 9 major? Or do you just like being a a$$? Try posting something useful.

That said, I'm pretty happy with long Shot. Also called loud shot. I think I'm at about 7.6 gr. but I need more time with the chrony I may want to bump it up some. I was waiting for a little warmer weather to do more testing. I worked up this load in the middle of winter.

Gentlemen, please watch the attitudes.

Thanks,

GrumpyOne