Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Over sized mag release for production

watlow

From App D4, 21.6:

•A factory/OFM magazine release which extends only the length of the magazine release may be used. A magazine release which provides a larger surface area (paddles, buttons) may only be used if it is an OFM part available on an approved model of gun.

I asked Troy McManus about the extended mag button on my Xdm and he said it was legal. Ask him about your set up.

Sent while driving 80 mph, eating a cheeseburger and using my knee to steer.

Hasn't this been covered about a million times at this point? If it is only longer, but otherwise exactly the same as a factory release then you may use an aftermarket one, such as the springer one.

That is per Troy's opinion..

Hasn't this been covered about a million times at this point? If it is only longer, but otherwise exactly the same as a factory release then you may use an aftermarket one, such as the springer one.

That is per Troy's opinion..

"opinion"

Not supported by the current USPSA rule book.

• 2 weeks later...

This is from USPSA website, NROI tab, The Latest News and Information from the NROI, frequently asked questions.

17) I have an approved Production Division gun, and the manufacturer now offers a cool mag-release button on their “custom shop” versions of that gun. Can I use that mag-release button, since it is “an OEM part”?

ANSWER: It depends. An external part which extends only the length of the magazine-release button is specifically allowed in section 21.6 of the 2009 interpretation, whether the part is OEM or aftermarket. If the part provides a larger surface area (a big head, a button, a paddle, etc) or is different than the original part in any dimension other than length, the part is only permitted if it is an OEM part available on an approved model of gun.

Note that an internal modification to a magazine-release mechanism which results in shifting the magazine-release laterally (i.e., making the part stick out further on one side of the gun) would be considered an “internal modification”, and is allowed.

Also note that parts from “custom shop” guns are only considered “OEM parts” if the “custom shop” model is on the NROI list of approved guns. If NROI has not certified the “custom shop” gun for USPSA Production Division, using a custom-shop part may be an “external modification”, resulting in a “new/unapproved model” which would be illegal for USPSA Production Division. Contact NROI for an official ruling before switching to the new part.

This is from USPSA website, NROI tab, The Latest News and Information from the NROI, frequently asked questions.

17) I have an approved Production Division gun, and the manufacturer now offers a cool mag-release button on their “custom shop” versions of that gun. Can I use that mag-release button, since it is “an OEM part”?

ANSWER: It depends. An external part which extends only the length of the magazine-release button is specifically allowed in section 21.6 of the 2009 interpretation, whether the part is OEM or aftermarket. If the part provides a larger surface area (a big head, a button, a paddle, etc) or is different than the original part in any dimension other than length, the part is only permitted if it is an OEM part available on an approved model of gun.

Note that an internal modification to a magazine-release mechanism which results in shifting the magazine-release laterally (i.e., making the part stick out further on one side of the gun) would be considered an “internal modification”, and is allowed.

Also note that parts from “custom shop” guns are only considered “OEM parts” if the “custom shop” model is on the NROI list of approved guns. If NROI has not certified the “custom shop” gun for USPSA Production Division, using a custom-shop part may be an “external modification”, resulting in a “new/unapproved model” which would be illegal for USPSA Production Division. Contact NROI for an official ruling before switching to the new part.

I love that that is still on the web site, being as it explains all the rulings that were removed form the "rulings" page with the 2014 rule book being adopted.

Here is my favorite line from this outdated page that everyone seems to ignore

18) What provisions of this interpretation apply to magazines? May I modify my magazines?

ANSWER: In general, NO. All existing rules and rulings remain in effect for magazines. While there are no specified limits on magazine length, an existing ruling requires that the gun must fit in the box with a magazine inserted, and that all magazines (whether OEM or aftermarket) must be “dimensionally the same as the original magazine for that model of gun”. Adding aftermarket base pads, adding or removing material from base pads or adding grip-tape would all be considered external modifications and are not allowed. Springs and followers, for purposes of this ruling, would be considered “internal parts” and may be modified or replaced without restrictions.

so with everyone saying that this list says a extended mag release is legal I think I will start moving shooters to open for adding aftermarket base pads :devil:

It's either one or the other you cant have both

I love that that is still on the web site, being as it explains all the rulings that were removed form the "rulings" page with the 2014 rule book being adopted.

Here is my favorite line from this outdated page that everyone seems to ignore

18) What provisions of this interpretation apply to magazines? May I modify my magazines?

ANSWER: In general, NO. All existing rules and rulings remain in effect for magazines. While there are no specified limits on magazine length, an existing ruling requires that the gun must fit in the box with a magazine inserted, and that all magazines (whether OEM or aftermarket) must be “dimensionally the same as the original magazine for that model of gun”. Adding aftermarket base pads, adding or removing material from base pads or adding grip-tape would all be considered external modifications and are not allowed. Springs and followers, for purposes of this ruling, would be considered “internal parts” and may be modified or replaced without restrictions.

so with everyone saying that this list says a extended mag release is legal I think I will start moving shooters to open for adding aftermarket base pads :devil:

It's either one or the other you cant have both

I find it even more interesting that this list was posted at the website before the board actually voted on it. If I remember correctly the board didn't vote on the proposed changes to the production division until four or five months later.

There has been at least one member of the Enos forum that was a member of the board back in 2009 that has said the proposed changes were voted in. I take his word for it, especially given the information posted at the NROI web page. But, but, if you look at the board minutes and what was finally voted on it doesn't appear to me that aftermarket magazine releases were approved. That's just the way it appears to me, but I don't know what all the stuff crossed out and stuff highlighted in red means. So, for now, given what information we have, I'm keeping my aftermarket extended mag release on my production gun.