Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If you change primers, do you drop the charge and work it back up?

LeviSS

I've been loading CCI primers exclusively, but have some Federals I'd like to try.

Do I need to drop the charge a little and shoot them over a chrono? I know I've read it in reloading manuals that you should, but didn't know if that was just them playing cya or if there is a practical difference.

As the others have said...

If I was foolish enough to load to 125.004 power factor, I'd chrono it to make sure I was still legal. If I was loading an "on the ragged edge of safe pressure" load of some sort, I'd chrono it to make sure it has not gotten noticeably hotter.

Three grains or so of TG under a 147? I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, I have a load to chronograph tonight (4.0 or 4.1 gr WST under a BBI 130) in which I switched from CCI to Federal primers. I should be posting the results sometime tomorrow.

Not unless I was running very close to the edge of a PF, or very hot loads for that cartridge. I have never found that primer brand makes much difference in pistol, although some brands don't always feed that well through my Dillon.

Yeah...it would still be a light load of 2.9gr Titegroup under a BBI 147.

And yes, I would run them over a chrono eventually anyway to make sure it's still making minor PF.

Just load them up and test them.