Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3K inertia spring failure

Boxerglocker

Firstly, apologize for the long winded post but just want to give the full story.

I just my Stoeger M3K in early February. Haven't made any mods other than I took the OEM tube off and went with the Carbon Arm 8 plus 4 extension, during the install gave the entire gun a thorough clean and lube. I've gone through about 250 rounds of heavy loads for break in and during the break in process I would take it apart, clean and inspect for wear patterns, re-lube and assemble about every 50-75 shots.

I started with 50 high brass, then 125 standard games loads, 50 or so lighter 1200. I even shot some light 1145 velocity stuff which would eject but didn't cycle the next shell reliably but used then for some trap rounds so no issue. Lastly, I shot about 6 rounds of S&B buckshot for patterning and 20 slugs through it, B&P targets which wouldn't cycle at all and some Fiocchi 7/8 which were initially 8 of 10 reliable.

So on to this past Sunday I shot a 10 stage all shotgun match with it and realistically wasn't expecting it to be 100 percent, especially with the slugs. I just figured it will just continue in the break-in process. All the shot ammo I used was 1255 velocity, 1-1/8 oz, 3-1/4 gram, #6 shot Winchester game loads. Throughout the day I put about 220-230 rounds through it, including slugs and buckshot. The first 3 stages it mechanically ran perfectly, at the forth stage it has one FTE so I sprayed more lube on the rails and up to the second to last stage it ran fine again. Stage 9 was mostly slugs so with the Fiocchi I took it with a grain of salt. Then the last stage, 1 slug to start at 90 yards and a 32 round hose fest. I nailed the slug target first shot which even cycled and chambered the second which I racked out as it was not needed. That's where the wheels fell off.... at least 6-7 FTE's Packed up the gear went home it was a long day... figured it was just a combination of a hot, dusty day and gun that need more break in.

Well, went to work today, get home and proceeded to tear the M3K apart for a clean and lube.... found this. Inertia spring broken into 3 places WTF! Anyone every heard of this happening? I'm not beefing on Benelli/Stoeger I understand that springs sometimes just fail. I'm just wondering if there is something I missed?

WP_20160411_005_zpsukegtb9i.jpgWP_20160411_003_zpsrhrwlyuz.jpg

I have worked on over 350 of the Stoegers, and many hundreds of inertia guns over the last decade. I have never seen a complete failure of the inertia spring like that. Stoeger will send a free replacement if you contact their service dept. In addition, the inertia spring in the M1, M2, Franchi Affinity, and all other 3in chambered 12 ga inertia guns are interchangeable in my experience, and fairly readily available. The color of the spring varies on some models, but spring diameter, length, and wire thickness is the same.

I have worked on over 350 of the Stoegers, and many hundreds of inertia guns over the last decade. I have never seen a complete failure of the inertia spring like that. Stoeger will send a free replacement if you contact their service dept. In addition, the inertia spring in the M1, M2, Franchi Affinity, and all other 3in chambered 12 ga inertia guns are interchangeable in my experience, and fairly readily available. The color of the spring varies on some models, but spring diameter, length, and wire thickness is the same.

Thanks Tom, Glad to see you back. I called Stoeger last Monday and they said they would get one out to me ASAP but as of Saturday still hadn't receieved it. I ordered a spare Benelli inertia spring along with a extractor, spring, pin combo for the bolt.

I was a bit surprised to hear from so many that no one had ever seen an inertia spring fail like this one did, yet speaking to Joe at Stoeger warranty it was like no big deal. I even offered to send the bad one back so they could test or have thier veendor test it and they declined.

Their service guys treat everything like it is no big deal. I don't think it is because they see that failure all the time, but they really honor the 5yr warranty like they mean it. It isn't like Mossberg where they make you feel like you need top-secret military clearance to get a part......

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Mine just broke yesterday into two pieces! Went to clean it after normal usage and discovered the break. Gun is about 6 months old and around 400 rounds through it. Does anyone know what Benelli equivalent spring is a match? M2? I want to carry a spare just in case this happens again.

I must say Stoeger was very easy to work with just now on the phone and they are sending out a new one no charge. I assume just a production issue with that batch of springs wherever the came from. Other than that i love this gun so far, no complaints.

IMG_0675.JPG

On 8/16/2016 at 8:30 AM, Boxerglocker said:

If funny, Stoeger arbitrarily sent me a another inertia spring that I just received the other day. Now I have 2 spares as well as a spare extractor as I replaced my M3k's with Benelli parts.

The M2 spring is a match for the m3000.

I keep a couple of inertia springs and a couple extractors in my kit just in case anyone else has problems. Got saved by a good samaritan at Nordic/Vortex last year (who found out his spring had broken as well when he got home.) 

The spring was the only issue I had when shooting the M3K, I had cleaned up the extractor pocket with a diamond file and polished the original extractor and never had any issues with it. 

• 11 months later...

If an audit by the ATF is stopping them from sending you the part I don't understand why your mad.  They didn't say they wouldn't send you one, just that they could not send one until the audit was completed. Your hate is misguided. Parts break, good companies fix them....you wanted to get your gun up and running and they gave you the best option they could and thats to buy one or wait.  I find it disrespectful to make an account here just to bash a company.  The members here would of likely helped you find what you needed (someone probably would of sent you one free of charge) if you had come off a different way. 

H8T Stoegers... very clever name. Them dang ducks just ain’t getting shot cuz I caint afford a dern 7 doller part fer my budget Terkish scattergun. Stoeger sux! Get bent dude. You want a great shotgun? Spend 12-1500 dollars and Buy a Benelli. You want a decent shotgun for about 5-600 dollars? Buy a Stoeger, but don’t bitch when a 7 dollar part breaks.

I have a girsan Benelli inertia clone.   Basicly same gun as stoger.   Most Benelli parts work.  The only difference is the girsan is metric and Benelli is standard sizes 

Edited by Bwilmot