Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best scope for 3gn

HawkMoney

Agreed but he laid out a budget. I always live by the motto buy right cry once buy wrong and cry until you get it right. Basically you should buy the best glass you can afford. Its not an area to skimp unless you just can't afford it. A better scope in the low budget area in my opinion than the MTAC is the Primary Arms 1-6. But thats my opinion. Either way if someone asks a question about the best scopes in a certain price range its not helpful to say buy a cheap scope and practice a lot. They should practice no matter what gear they decide on. I respect what you said about practice however being more important than gear.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Thank you gentlemen. I appreciate all of the good info. It seems like a toss up between the primary arms 1-8 and the vortex razor in my price range. Hopefully someone has at least one of these i can try out at our local 3 gun match this weekend!

-Ivan

Just get the Strike Eagle. Figure out if you like the low power variable scope on your setup and then upgrade accordingly. You can always sell the Strike Eagle down the road for minimal loss.

Having compared the Strike Eagle to the Primary ARms 1-6 the scopes are nearly identical except for reticles and price. I prefer the PA. Not saying the Strike Eagle is not good. Just you get more bang for your buck and a reticle I prefer with the PA.

I have had cheap, then stepped up to the Vortex HD. Very good scope in your price range, and can be had for a little less when you can find a used one. With Vortex's warranty, used does not scare me. I have stepped away from the Vortex and now I shoot the C-More. A better reticle in my experience and still in your price range.

C-MORE

Has anybody tried the SWFA 1-6x24HD? The reticle in the first focal plane really intrigues me.

I have the 1-4x HD by SWFA, which also has a FFP reticle. I bought it because I loved the idea of the reticle it came with. It has surpassed by expectations. I love it. It is not the same one that the 1-6x has though. There is a great review and discussion of the early model of the 1-4 here that sold me on it.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/527840_Review_of_the_SWFA_SS_1_4X24_HD__Updated__Page_6_.html

One 1x the circle is a great size for fast target acquisition and at 4x it offers very usable hash marks for hold-over. I was able to buy mine directly from them when they had a sale, so paid well under the retail price. They can be found used for about $600, if you're patient.