Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me pick a new gun

andyroth

I'm thinking about buying a new gun for production division and the CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical in either 9mm or .40 caught my eye.

Currently I shoot a Glock 35 in production with a nice minor load shooting Blue Bullets.

Thoughts/opinions? I need to keep the base price of the gun under $800 so the CZ custom competition guns are out.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

If the CZ pistol is DA/SA, I wouldn't recommend it. You might try an XD Tactical or an XDM.

Well, production requires DA/SA if the gun is hammer fired, and I already have a striker fired gun.

Am more interested in getting that great light trigger of a single action gun (and the full Metal frame is great too), and I am OK with the first shot having to be double action to get it.

Is your Glock a Gen 3 or 4 and what changes have you made to it?

It's a gen 4. Has some trigger work done to lighten it to about 4lb and it has competition sights flat black fiber optic front.

I'm not ready to sell it though if that's why you're asking...

If you are wanting to keep the base price at 800 or less , you have several options really . But may I ask why you are wanting to go away from the Glock ? You can find Grand Power X-Caliburs under your budget and are very nice shooting out of the box. SP-01 Tactical isn't bad but you'll need to do some significant trigger work to get it better . Take a look at say a CZ P09 , it's a decocker model similiar to the SP-01 tactical yet is going to be easier on the wallet and from what you end up having in that tactical for upgrades you can do to the P09 and have money left over for magazines or whatever you need . Just my 2 cents !

Worked a major this weekend and the steel CZ's were used by an overwhelming majority of Production shooters. Then again most of those were probably not stock guns. The ones I have handled are pretty brutal in DA unless they were worked over. Then they are incredible!

If you are wanting to keep the base price at 800 or less , you have several options really . But may I ask why you are wanting to go away from the Glock ? You can find Grand Power X-Caliburs under your budget and are very nice shooting out of the box. SP-01 Tactical isn't bad but you'll need to do some significant trigger work to get it better . Take a look at say a CZ P09 , it's a decocker model similiar to the SP-01 tactical yet is going to be easier on the wallet and from what you end up having in that tactical for upgrades you can do to the P09 and have money left over for magazines or whatever you need . Just my 2 cents !

I'm not wanting to go away from the glock, just thinking of making the glock a limited gun and buying a gun better suited for production.

Never heard of Grand Power X-Calibur. Can you tell me about them a little bit? Are they Production legal?

I really like the thought of a full metal frame this time, or you're right, the P09 would be a great choice. It seems like the full metal frame will add weight, and make the gun shoot softer.

Would the P09 not need trigger work when the SP-01 does?

The only upgrades I would put on any gun that I buy is competition sights and trigger work (if it needs it).

Edited by andyroth

The reason I asked about generation and modifications had to do with possible suggestions on making your present gun more competitive in Production rather than buying a new gun, but I see you're planning on using it as a Limited platform so that plan would not apply. All the best on your search.

Your Glock 35 should be perfectly suited to production. Are you a GM? If not, then the gun isn't holding you back. Even if you are, it probably isn't, but I'm not one to give advice if you are a gm :)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I agree. I'm making the Glock my limited gun. So I want a gun for production.

Thank for the advice everyone. I ended up buying an SP-01 in .40.

I did have a laugh at the comically low round count in the magazine, but since I'll be shooting production it won't matter anyway.

I already bought a 12lb recoil spring for my minor load and am looking at sights now.

Wouldn't be legal in production. And I wanted a hammer fired gun.

I've been shooting my G35 in production for ages. I'm making it a limited gun now with a magwell and extended mags.

All the reasons why you want a different gun for production like better trigger, and metal frame are even more a factor in Limited.

Agreed, but money doesn't grow on trees :) production is what I'm trying to be competitive in.

There may definitely be a Tactical Sport or STI in my future, but I don't have the dough.

Edited by andyroth

I wanted to jump in this as I have a very similar question. I am a total newb with only 3 matches under my belt. I have been shooting my vp9 stock. I am moving up in scores from a lowly 27% to now a 49% (yes I know thats still really low).

I am considering buying a dedicated gun for competition but am wondering what real advantages (for the money) I can expect. If I were to invest say 1000 into getting a g34 with a few upgrades, such as trigger work, recoil spring maybe a barrel, and a competition holster/belt set up....is this the next logical step? Will the 5" barrel be that much better?

Any thoughts?

The real benefit from the Glock 34 other than the barrel is that the sight radius is longer then on a similarly sized Glock pistol that's not set up for competition.

Practice though, over anything else, including a new gun, will help you improve the most.

I wanted to jump in this as I have a very similar question. I am a total newb with only 3 matches under my belt. I have been shooting my vp9 stock. I am moving up in scores from a lowly 27% to now a 49% (yes I know thats still really low).

I am considering buying a dedicated gun for competition but am wondering what real advantages (for the money) I can expect. If I were to invest say 1000 into getting a g34 with a few upgrades, such as trigger work, recoil spring maybe a barrel, and a competition holster/belt set up....is this the next logical step? Will the 5" barrel be that much better?

Any thoughts?

No. You won't be any better with a g34. You will probably be worse for a while. Sight radius isn't that big of a deal. The reason g34s are so popular is because they don't cost much more, and because they look slightly cooler.

Great choice on the CZ SP-01. I was considering buying a Tangfolio stock 2 or SP-01, but spent my money on a Dillon xl650.

Any thoughts?

Spend your money on ammo/reloading, magazines, a trigger job and match fees. A new guns isn't going to make you a better shooter.

• 4 weeks later...