Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

loaded 40 with buldge behind the bullet

CrashDodson

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was having a lot of 40 rounds not chamber checking, 20% - 30%. For some reason I checked the brass length and decided to trim to minimum trim length and problem went away. Just another thought...

a92a1115228fd1dba3d2d5b03c81aecb.jpgd7dcbf0acac6fc1ceafa9e91ea57241c.jpg

This is what 25-30% are looking like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does the brass look like after the belling step?

The brass has a nice bell on it. The bullet sits in there fine.

I've had some that I took my time on and made sure everything was straight and they still came out crooked and the other way around, some I felt go crooked and they came out straight.

I pulled a few that I ran through the size die again, they measured .397-.398.

I'm hoping that Mr. Bullet Feeder powder funnel will help.

Got the Mr. Bullet feeder powder funnel set up tonight. Ran 100 rounds (actually 99, lost one while setting up the new funnel). Only 3 did not plunk test. Pretty happy about that.

I've had some that I took my time on and made sure everything was straight and they still came out crooked and the other way around, some I felt go crooked and they came out straight.

So that bump isn't there after the belling step?

i had the same issues befor but It solved the issue when i bought the Redding Dual Ring Carbide sizing/decaper Die, its a lil expensive but yeah it really ilimenates the bulge specially from glock fired shells

That was a "finished" round. The new powder funnel pretty much took care of the that, the bullet sits in the case real good before seating.

• 2 weeks later...

I setup my new 1050 last night. Using the mr bulletfeeder funnel. I tried the dillon sizing die and the EGW U die and still having a lot of rounds not chambering. They gauge fine upside down but are rubbing on the buldge right under the case mouth like in photos by Nickb45.

Nick if you fixed your issue can you post a picture of your brass right after belling?

I think the problem for me, with the mbf funnel, is that it expands the case so far down.

but when you crimp, you're only crimping the mouth of the case, anything below that is still expanded.

I think that's what's failing the gauge for me.

if I expanded the case less, I get more chance of lead scraping, but also less case gauge fails.

I tried using the Dillon funnel again, and actually got the most success with the gauge. but sometimes bullets would seat crooked and scrape lead.

I think I may try the Redding competition seating die next, it's supposed to help with bullet alignment as it seats.

Ive ordered the redding comp seating die also.

Last night I had descent success using the mbf funnel if I only belled just slightly. Just enough not to shave the coating off. Visually its hard to tell there is any bell at all compared to the cone shape of the dillon funnel. Worked the crimp in 1/8th turns until the round would plunk. I was getting about 2-4/100 that would not gauge last night. There is still a bulge beneath the bullet on one side of the case, but not bad enough to fail to chamber. Hopefully the combination of the dual ring sizer and comp seater will fix this.

I setup my new 1050 last night. Using the mr bulletfeeder funnel. I tried the dillon sizing die and the EGW U die and still having a lot of rounds not chambering. They gauge fine upside down but are rubbing on the buldge right under the case mouth like in photos by Nickb45.

Nick if you fixed your issue can you post a picture of your brass right after belling?

I though I had it pretty well fixed but it's coming back again. I'm getting a few that don't pass the plunk test.

The real issue is the ones that plunk test ok, but if you rotate the round wrong it will get hung up when trying to feed. I was hoping to have this sorted out by now, area 1 is next week and my pistol is choking on this ammo.

I did notice a lot of the rounds that are hanging up are GFL headstamp. I'm going to try some different brass tonight and also try some new star line brass.

I have about 10k rounds of brass I am working through. If I end up having to buy new brass to get this crap to work I might as well just buy factory ammo lol.

Nickb, which brand of bullets are you using? I guess I need to try a different brand and get them sized at .400 instead of .401. Or go jacketed i guess.

I usually don't have these problems loading lead bullets, but this crops up when I use plated bullets.

what is your setup? Dies?

Originally with a Lee Turret Press, with Lee dies and an RCBS bullet seater. I use the Lee seater as a crimp die. For whatever reason, I'd get those bulges when I used plated bullets. I asked if the bulge was there after the belling step to take that out of the equation.

I'm using bayous sized at .401 (normal). I have a couple of buddies that run bayous and leather heads. They load on hornady presses with zero issues. Another buddy runs a 550 (like me), but runs xtreme's but doesn't have issues.

Edited by Nickb45

Finished off a box of bayous with 100 pieces of Starline brass, first time 100 good rounds have come off the press in a row. Opened a new box of bullets and they are sized to .401, so far 3 out of 100 have failed to plunk test (they would chamber if cycled through the gun but I'm loading rounds for A1). I will see how much the velocity is effected tomorrow going from .401-.400.

most bullets are .401. I have had all sorts of trouble reloading with .40sw. Using range brass lots of problems, using new starline none. The whole bullet bulge is normal.

Back to getting range brass to case...

Tried the Lee factory crimp die, did not work. Tried the undersize die, did not work, still a little glock bulge, bought the redding push through die and pray I can get range brass to behave itself.

Edited by Daft

All the other 40 bullets I have loaded have been .401, this box is .400-.4005. Velocity was about 30fps slower (166PF). Accuracy did not seem to be effected.

Off to the basement to load up 500 rounds for A1.