Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

loaded 40 with buldge behind the bullet

CrashDodson

I just got through loading 1k 40 and I am having a lot fail to gauge. I am using a 100 round case cage and they all gauge fine bullet up. Bullet down they dont gauge and they dont pass my barrel check either. Inspecting the case there is a slight bulge directly behind the bullet but only on one side. It can be felt with my finger and I can see it.

What would cause this? bullet leaning too far to one side when seated? Never had this mean fail to gauge before. I tend to have 1/100 fail but I just figure its over glocked brass. I am using a lee Udie which has decreased the number of rounds failing to pass the gauge up until this point.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What type of bullets? Lead or coated?

Have you made any recent changes to the dies? Sounds like maybe not enough flare or not enough crimp.

I load coated (180 gr bayou) and as compared to plated I needed a bit more flare with the powder funnel and a little more crimp. Once I did that they all gauged and plunked. I had to do the same in 9mm when I switched to coated.

You also might measure the nominal diameter of the bullets to make sure they aren't oversize.

My zero's in 180g JHP's do not pass through my gauge, but they plunk test in my barrel like a dream. Did you re-size you're brass is it glock bulge? I've also had X-treme bullets not gauge well when just trying to barely remove the bell from the casing with a super super light crimp. With lead, speaking about bayou in particular.. I had a batch sent to me that were suppose to be .401, they miked like .403/some even .404 and they wouldn't gauge.

I didnt even think to measure the bullet. I can try that tonight. They are coated 180 ibejiheads, usually .401.

I did change the flare/bell on the powder station because I was having cases stick to the funnel and someone recommended to try backing off the flare a 1/4 turn or so.

I have seen too little flare starts the bullet into the case crooked. Espically if in the seating stem in the Dillon die does not match the shape of the bullet you are using. What bullet profile are you using and which way do you have the seating stem set?

Crash, my chamber checker was reamed with a Clymer reamer, so it is a little on the tight side. The problem you describe is definitely caused by too much bell on the case mouth, and a soft brass problem. I solved the problem by purchasing a Mr. Bulletfeeder expander and replacing the Dillon expander with it. It is a two stage expander specifically designed for automatic bullet feeding. The first stage expands the case almost to bullet seating depth by a uniform amount. The second stage bells the case mouth. If you adjust the depth of expansion so that the mount receives only the very slightest bell, you will be able to insert the bullet into the expanded section. That section holds the bullet straight up and significantly diminishes the number of round that have a bulge (not a Glock bulge) on one side.

The expanded diameter is such that .400" bullets almost drop in, while .401" bullets take a very gentle push to seat. You actually can do without the slight bell. However, I use it just to make sure I don't damage the coating on poly coated bullets. You can order directly from Mr. Bulletfeeder if you like. If memory serves, it was $35. It has drastically reduced the number of chamber checked rounds that go into the practice pile. I liked it so much I ordered another for 45ACP.

Crash, my chamber checker was reamed with a Clymer reamer, so it is a little on the tight side. The problem you describe is definitely caused by too much bell on the case mouth, and a soft brass problem. I solved the problem by purchasing a Mr. Bulletfeeder expander and replacing the Dillon expander with it. It is a two stage expander specifically designed for automatic bullet feeding. The first stage expands the case almost to bullet seating depth by a uniform amount. The second stage bells the case mouth. If you adjust the depth of expansion so that the mount receives only the very slightest bell, you will be able to insert the bullet into the expanded section. That section holds the bullet straight up and significantly diminishes the number of round that have a bulge (not a Glock bulge) on one side.

The expanded diameter is such that .400" bullets almost drop in, while .401" bullets take a very gentle push to seat. You actually can do without the slight bell. However, I use it just to make sure I don't damage the coating on poly coated bullets. You can order directly from Mr. Bulletfeeder if you like. If memory serves, it was $35. It has drastically reduced the number of chamber checked rounds that go into the practice pile. I liked it so much I ordered another for 45ACP.

Thanks I will check that out.

I would argue that the issue is related to you having backed off of the case mouth expansion/flare. That's keeping the bullet from getting started into the case mouth in a uniform fashion creating the bulge on one side. And, the fact that you're using a U-die makes it more pronounced; nothing wrong with u-die, just makes problem more obvious.

I dont believe that the problem is related to excessive flaring. Excessive flare wouldn't create the bulge below the bullet as you described in OP.

180g Round Nose Flat Point, Bevel Base, No Cannelure. I honestly dont know what you mean by having the seating stem set?

The Dillon die comes apart and has a double ended seating stem

http://www.dillonprecision.com/dillon-carbide-pistol-dies-three-die-sets_8_4_24445.html

Thanks, I googled that after your first reply and Im pretty sure im using the correct side but I will double check.

I would argue that the issue is related to you having backed off of the case mouth expansion/flare. That's keeping the bullet from getting started into the case mouth in a uniform fashion creating the bulge on one side. And, the fact that you're using a U-die makes it more pronounced; nothing wrong with u-die, just makes problem more obvious.

I dont believe that the problem is related to excessive flaring. Excessive flare wouldn't create the bulge below the bullet as you described in OP.

Changing the flare is the only thing I have changed before the last batch so I am thinking this is the case. I am still interested in trying the bulletfeeder powder/flare insert because I am having a lot of trouble with the dillon and the cases getting stuck.

If the cases are sticking to the funnel there are a couple things you can try. Are you using some type of case lube (either Dillon one shot or home made?) if not try that.

Tumbling- dry or wet? If dry toss in some car wax. Lots of folks use nu-finish.

I think you're on the right track, if you backed off belling likely it's an off center issue.

Solve the sticking issue, add some bell and you're back in the game.

I tumble wet with SS pins. I have since gone to using one shot in a ziplock and mixing the brass and then dumping it in my feeder. I have to spray one shot inside a dozen or so cases and throw them in the feeder and this does help a little.

Is it ok to have one shot inside the case?

I SS tumble my brass and I also throw it in fine Walnut media in a vibrating tumbler to polish it and make it slick... I still get the brass sticking to the funnel occasionally, generally what fixes it for me is taking some scotchbright or 3000 grit sand paper and lighting running it around the end of my funnel, if you look closely at you you will be able to see where it looks like there is "brass" almost built up on the funnel in several places. Not sure if that will help you, but it worked for me.

I SS tumble my brass and I also throw it in fine Walnut media in a vibrating tumbler to polish it and make it slick... I still get the brass sticking to the funnel occasionally, generally what fixes it for me is taking some scotchbright or 3000 grit sand paper and lighting running it around the end of my funnel, if you look closely at you you will be able to see where it looks like there is "brass" almost built up on the funnel in several places. Not sure if that will help you, but it worked for me.

Thanks. I started doing the wet tumbling so I wouldn't have to mess with the corncob/walnut and the dust and mess associated with it. I would hope to not have to start doing that again. I tried polishing it up with 1k grit sandpaper but that didnt help. Thought about pulling it out and polishing it with a dremmel. I also ordered one of the mr bulletfeeder funnels to see if that helps any.

Edited by CrashDodson

Which side of the seating stem do I use? The one where the bullet reaches the bottom or where it sits on the rounded part of the bullet?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I just changed my 9mm load. The JHP I was using looked a lot like a wad cutter so I change to that side of the seater and experienced the problem you are now having. Once I went back to the round nose side my problem went away.

I'd think you want to hit the rounded part or ogive to seat the bullet the straightest

I've messed with it for hours tonight. I've got it passing the gauge and barrel plunk but it's still bulging behind the bullet on one half of the case. I'm making sure the bullet is straight before seating. Frustrating.

I've messed with it for hours tonight. I've got it passing the gauge and barrel plunk but it's still bulging behind the bullet on one half of the case. I'm making sure the bullet is straight before seating. Frustrating.

So the reloads do or do not chamber correctly?