Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WSF vs Titegroup with Extreme 165 plated

2ndSupporter

Ran a search wanted some advice. Where else better to ask but here?

Moving from the cast 147s I've been shooting to get away from the mess and smoke. I also just got a MBF and prefer not to have to keep that clean as well.

I run a 5inch MP with a KKM barrel, I imagine I will goto an 11-13lb spring with these 165s

Some friends of mine are running Extreme 165s with titegroup making minor PF and I was amazed at how soft they shoot.

Web research with Titegroup prior to loading and chrono looks like 2.7-3.1 will be the load to make Minor PF, depending on 25yd accuracy. Drop tests show 1.128-1.161 with a .368 crimp all look good.

My goal is to load to 1.145 give or take with a .368 crimp.

I only have WSF, do you guys think WSF will yield similar results to the Titegroup data I have found?

Any opinions on wsf, oal, crimp and charge for my MP with a KKM and these projectiles will be Greatly Appreciated.

As always Thank You very much in advance!

I've been experimenting with Extreme 165's for an IDPA BUG load. Started @ 2.5gr Titegroup @1.14. had a few stovepipes in different BUG pistols. My DW ECO should be back from DW tomorrow and I will continue the experiment but most likely will move the charge up to 2.7gr. I'm trying to get a soft 100-110 PF load that is acceptably accurate and will run a 3.5" 1911, a Sig 320sc, and a XD Mod 2 3". Preliminary results are that the 2.5-2.7 loading is definitely softer than my usual 3.9-4.1 power Pistol load running Bayou 147"s at the same OAL. However, more work is needed and now that the temperatures have moderated, the search will continue in earnest!

JD

I've been experimenting with Extreme 165's for an IDPA BUG load. Started @ 2.5gr Titegroup @1.14. had a few stovepipes in different BUG pistols. My DW ECO should be back from DW tomorrow and I will continue the experiment but most likely will move the charge up to 2.7gr. I'm trying to get a soft 100-110 PF load that is acceptably accurate and will run a 3.5" 1911, a Sig 320sc, and a XD Mod 2 3". Preliminary results are that the 2.5-2.7 loading is definitely softer than my usual 3.9-4.1 power Pistol load running Bayou 147"s at the same OAL. However, more work is needed and now that the temperatures have moderated, the search will continue in earnest!

JD

COAL?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I use WSF for 9mm using a KKM barrel in a Glock 17 (4.49" length).

Xtreme 147hp WSF 3.9gr 833fps/122pf

Xtreme 147rn WSF 3.8gr 856/125

Montana Gold 124hp 4.6gr WSF 1050/130

Give it a try.

Wsf should be a slower powder than tightgroup. General consensus is that wsf is better with higher power loads, not that some people might not like it at lower power factors. I would think WST is a better choice if that is an option. It is similar to titegroup in burn rate.

Lastcat

I have my load down for 147s with WSF, wondering how it will work with 165s and how close it will be to Titegroup in both grains and performance.

Not sure about WSF and 165, or how it's compared to TG. I have used both WSF and TG, and prefer WSF. Though, some are using WST for 9mm. You'll have to load a few give then a try.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried 165s and my load was 2.7gr Titegroup, cci small Pistol primers with an OAL of 1.140. My Tanfo shot super soft but it was too sluggish for my tastes. Accuracy was good but not as good as my 3.5gr 231 147gr loads. These are a tad sluggish as well so I may bump it up a few tenths and it should be perfect.