Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Took the plunge into Open.

taco101

I have been thinking about shooting open class and today at our local gun show, found a real deal on a Peine Custom Caspian .38 Super with a CMore. Ordering a big stick and holster today. Now....What should I expect moving from Limited to Open?

b97240aa-6df1-4fb8-863a-a04f0c05daba_zps

You'll have to shoot faster. :closedeyes:

Could take some time to get used to "finding the dot" - that just takes practice.

The ammo is less expensive ... :bow: :bow:

You are going to have a LOT MORE FUN .... :surprise:

Congratulations, and welcome to The Dark Side. :cheers:

Hombre, I like that thought - "Think shooting sooner more than shooting faster". We could all move up a class if we did that, d'ya think?

Easy to say, tough to do.

Kinda like marital advice right?

Yep. All the good stuff is the hardest to do.

This thought makes sense, though. Trying for blazing splits and outrunning your ability level might get you .05 seconds per split x 16 targets = 0.8 second per stage, but also a bunch of Cs, Ds, Ms, and no-shoots. But learning to shoot at the first visible target in an array without taking that extra half-second or second to get fully stopped and set up could gain a couple of seconds (or more) per stage.

Watching the top shooters, that seems to be part of what they do. As someone said of Ben Stoeger, he doesn't seem all that blazingly fast, but what he is is "prompt" - right there, just where he needs to be, with the shot on the next target *right now*. That's something to aspire to.