Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sometimes a shooter will have some sort of death jam, gun breakage, lack of ammunition, or whatever that causes an unfortunate failure to complete the course, which is then scored as shot. In some situations, say, a 32 round course where the shooter has not engaged 8 targets, the RO knows for sure the shooter has earned 8 failure to engage procedurals as well as 8 misses, which means that the shooter's penalties exceed the number of points it is possible to score.

Whenever this happens, I still score the course as shot. Sometimes I get funky looks like I'm just being a dick or I'm wasting everyone's time because we all know it's going to be 0. A DNF is not appropriate in this situation because the shooter attempted the course of fire and put some bulletholes on target. Am I wrong? We can't just mark it 0 -- we have to score everything, and the shooter earns what the shooter earns.

I can't think of any compelling reason to ignore the rules. The shooter deserves to be treated with that respect.

Had it happen recently to a friend I was ROing who had a true squib. Verified the squib, scored as shot, commiserated later. Bummer.

That's exactly what I'm getting at -- the rulebook does not support short-circuit scoring, so you score the entire thing. Hell, it's even possible for the shooter to FTE half the targets and go "I want an overlay!" on another.

I don't mind it, but I want to make sure I've got the right idea.

Also keep in mind that a scoresheet without a time recorded, or with insufficient hits recorded is handled accordingly:

9.7.5 If a score sheet is found to have insufficient or excess entries, or if the time has not been recorded on the score sheet, the competitor will be required to reshoot the course of fire.

Now there are exceptions, but generally speaking not recording the time and hits results in a reshoot. At least that would be my call if I was working in the RM role at a match.....

Something like this happened to me at Area 2 this year. On Stage 14 (120 pts) my rear sight broke off on my 3rd shot. Wasn't able to line up sights at all. Holes all over the place. Time was scored as well as missus etc etc. Was I pissed? Heck yea but not at the RO. It wasn't his fault.

And with most places using electronic scoring now, you need to fill in all the lines or you can't save it. Might as well score the ones shot and mark a time then add in all the penalties. Everyone knows its a zero, but everything still needs to be shown.

Scored as shot, that's the rule. Practiscore won't let you do anything short of complete scoring anyway. Failure to engage (-10), 2 mikes (-20) and 10 points you didn't earn. 40 points lost per target, almost as bad as walking by targets.... except with a squib or broken gun you can blame the reloads or the gun....

Is it possible to get Practiscore to enter multiples of the same penalty, or do you just have to enter each one? I couldn't figure it out when this happened to a shooter while I was scoring some time ago. It seems like there should be an easier way than entering each FTSA penalty individually.

Is it possible to get Practiscore to enter multiples of the same penalty, or do you just have to enter each one? I couldn't figure it out when this happened to a shooter while I was scoring some time ago. It seems like there should be an easier way than entering each FTSA penalty individually.

Matches created on Android 1.3.10 have just a Procedurals number field below the time dialog box. When you tap the number field, you get the list of each known penalty with a (+/-) key to add multiple instances. I have some matches that were probably created with an older version (or on IOS) and the score sheet just has -+ buttons with no list. Set up a match with your device and see how it works...

Edited by ChuckS

We use iPad minis, and when you select Procedural, it requires you to choose the rule number/reason. I'll have to see if it will let you increment the number of procedurals under a given rule/reason.

We use iPad minis, and when you select Procedural, it requires you to choose the rule number/reason. I'll have to see if it will let you increment the number of procedurals under a given rule/reason.

Which version? I just tested with 1.673 (4) and 1.674 (7) (beta release) and for the USPSA match I created I could enter multiple procedures while scoring without having to select a reason.

When I took the CRO class a couple years ago, they showed PS on iPads. Those had the procedural list. I tried my phone with the latest Android version and synced with the same match and didn't have the list. It seems like it may be match/version/both dependent?

ETA: Yup, match dependent! I created a match and got the procedural list. I looked into some other matches that I still have on my Nook and no list. I I am going to start a thread on this subject in Operations

Edited by ChuckS

I'll tell you even more. Those procedurals and rules are different between uspsa and ipsc match templates. So, as DQs, at least for uspsa and ipsc... Ken still has to compile DQs data for 3gn and idpa.

I'll tell you even more. Those procedurals and rules are different between uspsa and ipsc match templates. So, as DQs, at least for uspsa and ipsc... Ken still has to compile DQs data for 3gn and idpa.

Luckily the RM3G template I get to deal with a few times a year is pretty straightforward (and malleable)

Which version? I just tested with 1.673 (4) and 1.674 (7) (beta release) and for the USPSA match I created I could enter multiple procedures while scoring without having to select a reason.

Honestly not sure. I don't program them for the matches. But I do know they just went through updating everything, so we should be on the latest version now.