Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NC Match

ShooterSteve

People have been showing their boom sticks, so here is mine with a different twist. The rifle is a Stiller tac 30, Kreiger barrel, McMillan A5, Timney CE, PTG bottom metal with AI mags in 6.5 Creed. Shoots great. Here is the twist, and it's for Michael. Sign up for the next Frontline Defense match this Friday. Sign up for the Saturday May 14 match, and squad with me, and you can shoot my rifle. All I ask for is that you simply pay for your ammo. Shoot my reloads so the dope will match up. Use my arm board, rear bags, and everything is included. All you have to do is show up with your copious quantities of sunscreen and a good sense of humor, and we will be good to go. What do you say?post-6496-0-48667200-1459260298_thumb.jp

No, shooting two prs matches in April and two monthly matches in may. My wallet is squealing like a pig as it is from entry fees. Guardian is good stuff and helps a lot of kids so I'm glad yall are going. Are you signing up for frontline tomorrow morning?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I stunk it up at Peacemaker. Mental mistakes are killing me. There is so much stuff to keep up with, and you have to do it all. If there are five things to remember, and you miss one of them, you will not be banging steel. It is all a learning experience, and like Rob01, said this weekend, the learning curve is huge. So, I'm doing ok in local matches, but when you go play with the big boys, (and girls), it's easy to get pushed down the score sheet. They make it look so easy. The match at Peacemaker was fun, but very challenging. They have an incredible range there. Very cool place. Looking forward to going back.

Peacemaker was a good match, definitely some challenging stages. I was surprised at the point values on some of the stages.

I've shot the LRC and 2-gun matches there also. They do fun matches.

Edited by TRG65

Here you go Michael. Hornady 140 bthpm, 42.2 gr of H4350, primer pockets trued, flash holes deburred, and they are ready to rock and roll. This batch is yours. The bad thing is that I am slap out of H4350. The worse news is that everyone is out of it. Went to Bass pro shop as a last resort. They didn't have any, but they did have 4451, but they are freaking price gouging! I bought it because I had to have it, but this is just wrong. I would not have guessed that a large retailer like that, who buys in bulk, and surely gets a good price, would be raping their customers, and if they are doing it on powder, how much other stuff are they killing people on? Never again Bass Pro, never again.post-6496-0-77214500-1462155740_thumb.jp

Edited by shooter steve

Here you go Michael. Hornady 140 bthpm, 42.2 gr of H4350, primer pockets trued, flash holes deburred, and they are ready to rock and roll. This batch is yours. The bad thing is that I am slap out of H4350. The worse news is that everyone is out of it. Went to Bass pro shop as a last resort. They didn't have any, but they did have 4451, but they are freaking price gouging! I bought it because I had to have it, but this is just wrong. I would not have guessed that a large retailer like that, who buys in bulk, and surely gets a good price, would be raping their customers, and if they are doing it on powder, how much other stuff are they killing people on? Never again Bass Pro, never again.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

They look beautiful!! Thank you, sir. :bow:

Looking forward to the 14th.

• 2 weeks later...

How did you guys do yesterday? The wind got pretty strong in the afternoon.

Scores won't post until tomorrow, from what I understand and the format involved some time and then add on time for this and that. My focus was on being safe, being consistent, and making hits....in that order. I always succeeded in #1, got better with #2 as the day went on, and managed hits on all stages. Well I might have had one of eight stages that was all misses. I don't think Steve got everything out of it that he was expecting.

Wind later in the day was very strong and extremely variable. Holding for wind at longer ranges would have required a significant change from shot to shot. In the afternoon I could sometimes see the splash on one side at one target then edge over the cross hairs to another neighboring target at the same distance and see the splash on the opposite side of the plate. So, we were getting large wind changes on the order of 7-10 second time scales. Toward the end of the day, on stage 7, I timed out only able to make 8 of 10 shots. But, all 8 were hits. B) I was setting up on the 800 yard target when time expired. I could have made the hit if another 2 seconds were on the clock to make the shot.

Steve's rifle was a sweet shooting stick. He had a nice rifle built right there. His hand loads for me were dialed in perfectly. Also, he was very generous to let me try the sport with his gear. He rolled out the red carpet for me in many ways. And it's always fun to shoot with him. I can't thank him enough.

Finally, the experience was very educational. I saw many different rifles and calibers in play. Multiple optics and ammunition choices. Finally, seeing my actual skill level helps me make informed choices about rifle and other equipment if I were to go forward with this in the future.

Edited by michael1778

I had a good time yesterday, but my shooting was below par. I have to quit making stupid mental mistakes that cost me time on the clock. For example, on the last stage, I had my bipod set to shoot prone. I simply didn't look at the platform and range and notice that it was all a little down hill, which put my rifle height too high in the back. You will struggle to make hits on a 7x12" plate at 700 yds if you don't have a solid position built, so setting your bipod incorrectly from the get go is just a mental error that I made and it cost me.

Over all the match was fun. Shooting off stairs, out of vehicles etc. one thing that I liked was on two different stages, the had 8 or 9 different shooting positions to choose from, and you had to use 5 different positions. If you are a little taller, use higher, a little shorter, use the lower, you had choices. Paul has a boat there. It's not like Woodys or peacemaker, it's a dang bass boat hanging by straps. It was pretty fun, and a neat challenge that you don't see every day.

We had some really stout shooters on our squad. If anyone tells you that they have heard bad stuff about the new Ruger, don't believe it. The guy one our squad with one was rocking that baby all day long. Great rifle backed up by a great shooter.

Had a good day with Michael. I wanted to help someone, and be a teacher a little bit, so on the first stage, he absolutely kicked my ass with my own rifle and pretty much held his own for the rest of the match. He is a pretty smart guy, and it doesn't take him too long to figure stuff out. I'm sure that he will do fine if he ventures down this road. As for now, I'm off to the reloading room. Woodys is in two weeks. I just have to remember to properly set my bipod, along with 97 other things I have to remember while on the clock, to be a successful long range shooter.